Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front Wheel Bearings are hard, need helpy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if I had to take a SWAG (Scinetific Wild Assed Guess), I'd say that you are missing TWO bolts, and the bearing is shot. The rollers should be evenly spaced and not bunched together. This tells me that the roller cage has failed. Take a look at your new bearings and you'll see what I mean.

Normally the hub and rotor come off VERY easily. The outer race is a press fit into the hub, and the inner race and roller assembly is a slip fit over the spindle.

What you may need to do is get a two or three jaw bearing puller and use that to pull the hub and rotor off of the spindle. I have also used a slide hammer with bearing puller jaws, so that might be another option.

When you do get the hub and rotor off, you are going to have to press the old outer race out and then press the new one in. You might want to check with the Work Shop Manual to see if this requires any heating like the rear wheel bearings do.

Also, make sure you clean everything REAL good and visually inspect the spindle for cracks or big gouges.

Good Luck!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took those two bolts out early on because I thought those could possibly be holding it, then I stopped because I realized that wasnt helping.

I shall try locating a bearing puller. Would autozone or home depot have one?
Old 01-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Ok I took the rest of those bolts off to seperate the rotor from the spindle. The damn thing is NOT coming off. Ive tried malleting the back of the rotor before the spindle was loose. Ive tried prying, pulling, everything!

Im about ready to just throw the tire back on and take it for a ride full speed, and it would be a godsend if the thing fell off!

Its seriously not buding and im kinda angry. Well no, i take that back. Im very angry. Any ideas guys?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The puller isn't a bad idea. It just might be enough.

Looks like your wheel bearing has failed, and that is probably what is locking it on there. Spray liberal amounts of a penetrant inside where the wheel bearing is, and rotate the hub to help get it worked through there. Repeat several times.
From there, either use a puller or a hammer, and just keep at it. Although this might cost you a set of rotors if you beat it with a hammer too hard (which is why I prefer to use a puller).

Best of luck, I've been there done that with enough terrible jobs to know exactly how you feel.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:29 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the bearing has etched a groove in the spindle, causing the bearings to "hook" onto that groove and prevent it from pulling off? Can you get a screw driver in there and wiggle the bearing around a bit while at the same time pull on the rotor/hub? Is it (the hub) wiggling at all, or is it stone dead tight? What's it sound like when you rotate the hub?

I know it's frustrating, and this is usually the point where I start taking drastic measures and consequently break stuff. Keep cool, it's gotta come off somehow. And for God sakes, wipe the greasy finger prints off the fender
Old 01-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Lol. The greasy fingerprints are gone haha.

Today i took the rest of the bolts off of the spindle, and i had to literally PRY that away from the brake rotor. They were rusted together.

Where can I get a bearing puller, and how much do they cost? Ive tried the hammering, and the pulling, nothing. That thing is stubborn. Ive also sprayed like half a can of PB blaster in there and rotated like crazy.

When I move pull on it, it will move about 1mm forward or backward. The bearing is DEAD tight in there. That thing isnt moving for the world. When i rotate the hub, it sounds like metal is gently scraping metal.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:54 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try autozone, they usually rent out those types of tools...put 40 bucks down and you get it back when you return the tool
Old 01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Would these work?
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Yup, use a 3-jaw puller, or one of the bolt-on ones. They should rent something called a hub puller, that's exactly what you want

Be careful, if the race has siezed onto the stub, it could shatter under enough pressure. It would appear that it has either siezed on from heat, or has spun on the stub, and has fused to it... Both could be tricky, and in the end may require replacement of the spindle if it won't come off cleanly.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Thanks Zero!

These were only like 20 dollars a piece at autozone, i think ill just pick one up! I also think that it could have seized on there due to heat like you said. It broke 2 miles from the house and i limped it home, seemed fine, but the wheel was a little warm.

I should do the other one before it breaks and causes me this headache.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Should always do them in pairs.... they both have roughly the same mileage on them (unless you always turn one way)
Best of luck in getting it apart.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearings are hard, need helpy.