Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Griffin Radiators - Lower Temps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griffin Radiators - Lower Temps?

Hey,

Everyone that bought a Griffin Radiator last spring in that group buy... did anyone run before/after temperature readings? I missed out on that group buy, but I am still interested in getting one. I would like to know if anyone ran tests on it.

I have been told it cools around 30% better than stock? Does that sound about right? Is this radiator larger same as the stock radiator? Let me know what you all think overall, was it worth the money, does it cool better, etc.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My car never ran hot. My coolant temperature is dictated by my choice of thermostat, both with stock radiator and with Griffin. I got the Griffin for reliability, to get rid of the stock plastic endtanks.

Sam
Old 01-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Very high quality radiator. Should last a lot longer than the stock unit. As Sam says, you eliminate plastic end tanks.

As far as lower temps, Sam is correct again. The engine temp is governed by the thermostat. What the griffin radiator has is 20% to 30% more cooling capacity due to the all aluminum construction and tube/fin design. What does that mean? If your engine is producing more horsepower and thus more heat load, the Griffin radiator should be able to dissipate an additional 20% to 30% of that heat load, beyond what the factory part can dissipate.

I am very pleased with the performance of my Griffin radiator.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:08 AM
simmomi
Pro

I have to chime in here and agree with everyone. The Griffin radiator was probably one of the best purchases I've made for the car (next to all my Iceshark stuff).

My 951 used to run hot A LOT. And we tried everything from a lower temp fan switch and thermostat, and even Water Wetter (which my Wrench calls "snake oil"). All of these things did seem to help, overall, but I'd still have periods where the car ran hot.

Since we installed the Griffin, I don't believe the temperature has EVER gone past the middle of the temp gauge (and that was during the warm months). Most of the time, it just barely gets to the first line. When it does get to the first line, it doesn't stay there long.

BTW - for the first time in I don't know how many years of travelling through South Carolina, I saw the Griffin plant just off Interstate 85, outside of Greenville, SC. My wife actually pointed it out to me saying "Isn't that who made your radiator for your car?" I could have picked the darn thing up while travelling to the in-laws!!

Thanks again Bill for getting the Group Buy together. We might never have been able to purchase something like this without your hard work. Cheers...
Old 01-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Water Wetter definitely isn't snake oil, on a couple cars I used digital gauges on, adding WW was worth a consistent 10-15 degree drop in coolant temps at steady load. I use it on every car.

Sam
Old 01-16-2006, 03:04 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I have the griffin radiator and what I notice is the car has the ability when stuck in traffic to regulate the temp much better. before the car would try and over heat in traffic now the fans kick on and she cools right down.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure that the Griffin radiator is great, but a new radiator with fresh coolant should outperform a 15-20 year old radiator with perhaps not so fresh coolant..
Old 01-16-2006, 07:27 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

also its not really the plastic end tanks that are the problem(then again when a radiator lasts 20 years in my case there is no problem with the radiators in 944 turbos). when they do leak its from the gasket between the radiator and end tanks. in which case im sure those griffin ones have seals too. if it much more $$ then a stock radiator i cant see it being worth it.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, the end tanks on the griffin are welded and the radiator was about the same as a new stock one.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Did Paragon or any of the aftermarket stores pick this radiator up for distribution? I haven't seen anyone selling them unless you contact Griffith directly.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Same question as Mike, who has them for sale?

Physically how much larger is it and did you have any problem with fitment?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
also its not really the plastic end tanks that are the problem(then again when a radiator lasts 20 years in my case there is no problem with the radiators in 944 turbos). when they do leak its from the gasket between the radiator and end tanks. in which case im sure those griffin ones have seals too. if it much more $$ then a stock radiator i cant see it being worth it.
You've obviously never seen a Griffin, so please don't comment on them.

I don't believe any retailers stocked these. Griffin should have the plans in their database, if you call them they should be able to make you one. Unless you get quantity higher, the price won't be as low as when we did Bill's GB.

It was a direct swap for stock, perfect fit.

Sam
Old 01-16-2006, 03:32 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aren't these native to Australia?

Oh wait, wrong Griffon. You should see the new Liger BB turbo!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:05 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

i dont think many people wouuld be living in australia if that thing lived here. i have never seen(ever) an end tank welded to a core. could you post a picture. and sam i wasnt really commenting on the griffin but on the original radiator, and the fact that i didnt see any need to replace something that obviously doesnt have a problem. if a part can last 20 years or so i think thats pretty good.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i have never seen(ever) an end tank welded to a core.
End tanks are both welded and epoxied to the tubes. It is a proprietary process that Griffin uses on its radiators. One of the many high quality features that led me to select Griffin to purchase my radiator from. If you go to their website, you can see and read about the process.

Quick Reply: Griffin Radiators - Lower Temps?