Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost problem -Update, Tis a boosto problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes! thats a lot of psi... I thought that it could overboost it though, i watched the gauge and let off once it reached hit the 2bar. Still was scary.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The K26/6 can make about 23-25psi in a spike. I had that line pop off once. It was faster than it has ever been, but it can't be a good thing....
The factory gauge doesn't mean a thing. Mine didn't even read 2 bar at 23psi.
It maxxed out at ~1.75 bar.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
DME, I did what you said and now im scared. I thought I was going to die. Im gonna go shat myself ill be back.
Well now you know the turbo and wastegate are working. Didn't it feel great? Now don't you really want to go experience it again? While I would never suggest that anybody keep it like that, I do know of one person who always ran that way with their k26/6. My car has to get me back and forth to work every day. I can't take those chances.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK. I clamped the line going from the cycling valve to the wastegate, and i took it out for a drive. I pushed the pedal and my *** went flying into the seat and the car took off like a rocket. The engine made this evil roar in the upper RPMS, it sounded like a damn ferrari.

I turned around and pulled back into my neighborhood and went and cried worse than I did when I was forced watched Biodome for 2 days straight.

The car is getting boost now.
Not to laugh at your concern, but that was one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. You have a future in descriptive writing.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get it figured out rocky?

One of the nipples broke on my CV when I was doing the clutch job and got the same 23 or so psi rush you did.. tis was crazy. New CV and its running normal again.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"The car is getting boost now. What should my next step be? Could running it like that overboost the engine and cause it to get a boo boo? or was the car really that fast and not overboosting at all?"

a boo boo. lol is that a rhetorical question, or would you really like an answer?

The car definitely won't get a boo boo. It will however blow your head gasket, and perhaps score a cylinder or four when it does.
You MUST get a handle on the reason for the boost problem. Address it from there.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Figure out the problem we must.

For my ally is the boost. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter...

should me be looking into the Cycling valve or perhaps the bypass valve?

I also had one other question, if clamping that line all the way gave me what 25 psi or something, then what if i clamped it halfway? Would I get 15 psi? Is this the same thing that boost controller does?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also had one other question, if clamping that line all the way gave me what 25 psi or something, then what if i clamped it halfway? Would I get 15 psi? Is this the same thing that boost controller does?
No, I don't think that would be...prudent. I'd start with the cycling valve. They get old and brittle and the nipple tends to break off. I think just about everybody has replaced oneor more over the last 20 years. Check your vacuum diagram and make sure everything is hooked up right.

Now that you have tasted of the boost you will enter a whole new world.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesn't sound like the CV. Check your diverter valve first, its an easy test. Pull it off, and suck or blow as hard as you can (which is still only like 2-3 psi) through the large whole on the side. You can try the other holes too if you'd like. If air moves through, its bad. You will more then likely have at least a little movement of air, thats not neccassarily a failed unit, just an aged and should be replaced unit. A failed unit that could create your results would let a substantial amount of air through. I'd check for a large vacuum leak.
Eyal
Old 01-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I remember Andy had a bad bypass valve on his car, and borrowed the one off of mine, Im not sure if they ever got switched back...?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info, eyal and dme, good stuff
Old 01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Rock,
I have to find my other one. When I do, i'll send it ur way. (bypass valve)
Old 01-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

COol cool, Wes did you get my message? I think your rennlist membership expired too or something too.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

You really need to ditch the CV! If you are low on cash, look here: http://www.boostsciences.com/
Their reliaboost or accuboost will replace your CV. Their dirverter valve looks good too.

When you put on a new boost controller, you don't use the CV anymore. You take the line going from your IC pipe to the reliaboost, then to your wastegate. The CV line that goes to the J-boot (assuming you are using the stock J-boot) gets capped off.

Before you do any of that, un-clamp your wastegate line and get a boost gauge!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Oh BTW... this is the site Wes ment: http://www.gaugepods.com/porsche.html

Quick Reply: Boost problem -Update, Tis a boosto problem