Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch petal vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006 | 02:37 AM
dganapol
Intermediate

Default Clutch petal vibration

All,

I completed my rebuild about 2k miles ago. The only engine/trans issues is that the clutch petal vibrates in second and third gear. I have checked everything and cannot find the problem. The only thing I can think of is the resurfaced flywheel. But how can the vibration be coming thru the fluid. Any input would help.

Thanks,
David 87 951
Old 01-14-2006 | 04:48 AM
JET951
Drifting

hi

could it be possible that you have clutch shutter. (although this usually happens only on take offs) clutch shutter is when either the flywheel, clutch disc or pressure plate isnt cleaned properly before install.(such as getting grease on the parts)

sean
Old 01-14-2006 | 09:39 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you replace the clutch and throw-out bearing when you did the rebuild?
Old 01-14-2006 | 10:41 AM
turbinek
Instructor

Is the vibration always present or only after seeing higher engine revs?
Old 01-14-2006 | 12:29 PM
eospeed
Racer

Mine is like that every now an then it vibrates a little on 6300 rpm upshifts . I have a new clutch on the shelf just need to install it.
Old 01-14-2006 | 12:40 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

I cleaned all surfaces very well, but it could be. It engauges well and is not slipping. It seems to go away, but then returns. Maybe it is the flywheel out of balance. Thought it could have been some wiring harness or clutch line making contact with the body, but it does not happen all of the time. Everything was replace new except the fork and flywheel. I do feel extra vibration on the shift handle, but it could be just me. Thanks for all of the replys.

David 87 951 burg
Old 01-14-2006 | 11:13 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbinek
Is the vibration always present or only after seeing higher engine revs?
What would this mean? I often have a vibration in the clutch pedal after exiting from the highway.
Old 01-15-2006 | 04:11 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Well my car had the problem when reving above 4'500 - from this point anytime I hit the clutch - better to say just touched it my foot felt this vibration. It only stopped when I switched ignition off. After starting again no vibration in the pedal but by reving ... there it was again. Since I have a spec clutch, also changed clutchfork (looked quite poor) there is no such vibration. Maybe it was that very expensive and s...ty Sachs part or the clutchfork - what ever it has gone now (Sachs clutch had about 20k Miles on it.
Old 01-15-2006 | 04:37 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

Thats the one item I did not replace, cost more then the clutch. I drove the car today and focused on the vibration. I can feel it vibrated just as I push the clutch in, gets a tad bit stronger and then disappears. You may be correct, it could be he fork, I also think it could be flywheel (rebuilt), maybe it is out of balance. I can feel the shifter vibrate, but do not remember what it was like before.
Thanks,
David 87 951 burg
Old 01-15-2006 | 07:43 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

My 951 is in the shop because the clutch fork BROKE. This is almost 2 years after just having put in a new cup clutch and pressure plate, and being told that I should change the fork. I didn't. Now, I'm paying for it.

FWIW, I think the shudder in your pedal is due to leaking master & slave clutch cylinders. If your clutch fork is broken, the symptoms are weak pedal return, not enough pedal travel ,and possibly rough starting/idle.
Old 01-15-2006 | 08:21 PM
DHC8FO
Racer

I've got some vibration, I think it's from a bad clutch spring, I'm planning to replace the clutch. I'm planing to have the flywheel and clutch assembly balanced together before reinstallation. Olny abour $150. Is this overkill? It sounds like a good idea to me. Any thoughts
Old 01-15-2006 | 08:44 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I had my flywheel resurfaced when I did my clutch 2 years ago, but I didn't have anything balanced.
I'd say confidently that it felt perfect when it came out of the shop. No vibrations or shuddering at all.

Here's a little history with my car's clutch problems:

2years ago:
Clutch vibrating and not coming back up; could pull up pedal with foot, but could not get car into gear!! This was due to leaking master/slave cylinders. Bled them but did not replace them. Problem solved. (for now..)

1.5years ago:
On the highway at 70mph, floor it in 5th, car revs up but doesn't speed up. got worse and worse, at lower rpms each time. eventually I could only move at 1500rpm. Anything above 2000rpm and the motor would rev but car would no go forward. Took it into the shop, had the clutch/pp/throw bearing replaced. Advised to replace fork, but I didn't have the cash at the time. Car felt great. no problems!

last week:
Clutch pedal goes in, but doesn't come back up as quickly as it should. I can hear a slight clicking sound coming from the bell housing when I push in the clutch. I tried bleeding the slave, only to find that now I can't get the car in gear!!!! Took it to the shop: One arm on my clutch fork was BROKEN!

I haven't had a broken spring in my clutch, but I hear that's not very common with the Turbo Cup clutches.
Old 01-15-2006 | 11:37 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

did u relace the fly with new bolts?? before u took the clutch out did u mark it? so when u put it back it went in the same spot.!
Old 01-15-2006 | 11:40 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

o one more thing did you by any chance change the oil in the tranny?
Old 01-15-2006 | 11:47 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I had my flywheel resurfaced when I did my clutch 2 years ago, but I didn't have anything balanced.
I'd say confidently that it felt perfect when it came out of the shop. No vibrations or shuddering at all.

Here's a little history with my car's clutch problems:

2years ago:
Clutch vibrating and not coming back up; could pull up pedal with foot, but could not get car into gear!! This was due to leaking master/slave cylinders. Bled them but did not replace them. Problem solved. (for now..)

1.5years ago:
On the highway at 70mph, floor it in 5th, car revs up but doesn't speed up. got worse and worse, at lower rpms each time. eventually I could only move at 1500rpm. Anything above 2000rpm and the motor would rev but car would no go forward. Took it into the shop, had the clutch/pp/throw bearing replaced. Advised to replace fork, but I didn't have the cash at the time. Car felt great. no problems!

last week:
Clutch pedal goes in, but doesn't come back up as quickly as it should. I can hear a slight clicking sound coming from the bell housing when I push in the clutch. I tried bleeding the slave, only to find that now I can't get the car in gear!!!! Took it to the shop: One arm on my clutch fork was BROKEN!

I haven't had a broken spring in my clutch, but I hear that's not very common with the Turbo Cup clutches.
I have never seen a clutch fork break... That would be a first for me..

Quick Reply: Clutch petal vibration