Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Swapping half shafts: is it really that simple?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping half shafts: is it really that simple?

As topic, If I swap the half shafts to the opposite side, does it really increase the chances that they last, and is it really as easy as unbolting them, putting them on the opposite side, and bolting them back up? Anyone have a torque spec for them? Anything else I need to know?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:30 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

In theory it sounds easy, but is a little difficult. Takes some patience to do it and you will get pretty grimy.

Couple of hints.
Get a long (e.g. 3") triple square drive. This allows you to clear the boots
Let the suspension droop fully. You need some distance between the output and hub for the driveshaft to clear. Remove the trans end first, cover w/ plastic bag, then remove hub end. Install is revserse of removal.
Since you have an '89, the trans cooler loop gets in the way, but you don't have to remove it. Same w/ the exhaust on the other side. Creative manipulation of the driveshaft is needed.
Torque spec is 37#. If any of the bolts look suspect, repace them. You don't want to stripout a head. Along those lines, take some time and get the bolt head clean (where the triple square bit fits into) w/ a toothbrush & pick and some soap. Lightly tap the bit in to make sure it's properly seated and break it loose carefully, keeping the bit straight in the hole. I'd suggest soaking the heads w/ some Simple Green or similar soap the day before to let it soften the grunge in there.

Flipping the axles to the other side (moving the outer CV from one side to the outer CV of the other) will extend the life of the joints as the ***** now ride on a different area of the races. If you are not currently experiencing any issues or noises, flipping them can probably wait. However, make sure they are sufficiently lubricated.

While your at it, inspect the boots very carefully. If any look suspect (e.g. starting to show surface cracks or dry rot), now is the time to replace them.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Epic2112
As topic, If I swap the half shafts to the opposite side, does it really increase the chances that they last, and is it really as easy as unbolting them, putting them on the opposite side, and bolting them back up? Anyone have a torque spec for them? Anything else I need to know?
Easy job......

Torque specs are the same as I've told you before........ Tighten until it starts to strip and then back it off a quarter turn. It's shaping up to be a decent crowd at my place again this weekend. Divorce is sure to be looming.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I swapped mine a year ago cuz they were clacking. I know some say it's bad, but so far so good for me.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:03 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Tom
I swapped mine a year ago cuz they were clacking. I know some say it's bad, but so far so good for me.
If some say it is a bad practice to do, I guarentee that is because they can't do it themeselves. This is by far one of the best ways to save money on 951 maintenance costs, as there is no reason not to use a product to its full potential. I recommend trying to clean off as much of the dirty grease as possible and squeezing some new grease into the CV itself, as this will even further lengthen the use of the axles. Job takes about an hour and a half or two hours, just make sure you have the right bit (got mine from Snap-On, they call it a triple-square).
Old 01-11-2006, 01:20 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy job -- I've even done it on a sidewalk in the snow. Make sure you get a good triple square and clean the head before loosening to avoid stripping bolts. Replacing w/ new CV bolts is also a good idea.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys
Old 01-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

If you're really board and enjoy brain teasers, you can dissassemble the CV joint, clean and inspect for excessive wear then reassemble. This is not a difficult job - just really, really messy - and it's fun trying to figure-out how the pieces go back together. It's like a rubic cube covered in grease.

Quick Reply: Swapping half shafts: is it really that simple?