Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default AFM Link Help

How about a little help?

I have a customers car here with the AFMLink that he wants me to set up for him. Of course, there is no manual or any info, a bunch of mods (turbo, wastegate, reliaboost, FRP and other odds and ends).

Anybody have a basic map that I can input to the handheld programmed to get started with? A ‘link’ to a manual or at least some decent instructions on programming. I am a little spoiled by the Tec3 stuff….

Chris White
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe contact NZ951 or Machtig Turbo or Andrew...whatever his name is now. I think he is also over on the 951forums. I know he has been using the Link for some time.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:34 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

NZ wont be much help, he uses link standalone.

Chris, you should set all the values in the handheld device to zero, to start, if he has decent chips. Same goes for accel enrichment values.

As far as tuning with it, OZ951 has posted a bunch of good information if you search for "tuning the link" or something of that sort.

It is annoying to do, but works ok in the end. If you have any other specific questions I will do my best to help. Do you know what chips he is using in the dme/klr?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea why one would want to put that in their car with all the negative write ups about it (including my own) regardless PM me your fax number and I'll send it as soon as I get home tonight.
Also give me your email as I have an excel spreadsheet that will help sort out some of the cell issues - May God go with you
ed
Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Well, the link itself is not inherently bad (when you have a working one), but because it relies on the standard chips, and is very sensitive to any intake leaks, it is difficult for a vendor to sell a plug and play setup (yet some vendors did anyway). So it gets a bad rap from people who can not tune it themselves, when in reality its a decent product. My only real complaint is how often they break.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:50 AM
ewainwright
Racer

"So it gets a bad rap from people who cannot tune it themselves"

I don't want to get into this. Use the Search feature
Old 01-09-2006, 11:52 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Thanks but no thanks, I participated in most of the threads you are referring to while dealing with the product myself.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the search feature and came up with a lot of bad ‘links’ so to speak!!
Unfortunately the word ‘link’ has too many meanings.

I know the history of the unit (in general) and I am not really looking forward to setting it up, but the Owner really wants to use it and he installed it already. So it won’t be cheap but I will give it a try for him. I already told him that by the time it is done he might have gotten a Tec3 system for the same coast (a lot easier to tune).

Chris White

PS – chips are supposed to be Guru (used)…..
Old 01-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Chris, Check for air leaks right off the bat. If he isn't seeing 18" or so at idle you might as well find the leaks first because tuning will be futile if you don't. If you don't get a manual, let me know and I'll see if I can scan mine in for ya.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Is AFMLink similar to (or even the same) as InterceptLink then you can download a manual from Link.
http://www.link-electro.co.nz/interceptlink.html
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Intercept Link is not the same as AFM Link. AFM Link has a built in MAP sensor. Otherwise you can use Intercept link manual.Wiring is a little bit different since you cannot connect O2 sensor to Intercept Link. Zone adjust is the same on both of these.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
Well, the link itself is not inherently bad (when you have a working one), but because it relies on the standard chips, and is very sensitive to any intake leaks, it is difficult for a vendor to sell a plug and play setup (yet some vendors did anyway). So it gets a bad rap from people who can not tune it themselves, when in reality its a decent product. My only real complaint is how often they break.

Mark is right... It is not a bad system... You just have to take the time to play with it. It will work properly if you make it - it is only as good as the tuner!

Chris-
I have everything you could possibly need in setting up the Link. Unfortunately, I am not at home right now, but when I get home, I will PM/email you some info. If you want, send me a PM with your contact info...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:51 PM
ewainwright
Racer

I really don’t want to be drawn into this discussion as, in my determination; this subject matter with the AFM Link has been discussed to death. However, my concern is for the next guy. I will not argue that there are some people who really don’t know what they are doing when it comes to dialing in their cars. My own experience with the Link AFM is limited to my car and helping three others (one of which is a Rennlist poster). However, Fast951’s tuner experience and knowledge (as well as extremely satisfied customer base) speaks for itself. If anyone is even considering the purchase of the Link AFM MAP please search Fast951 comments about the Link.
Next, think about customer support and who responds and the time it takes for them to respond. Try to write, call, email, or even post to Fast951. Even Chris White picked up his telephone today on the second ring and in the past when his telephone was ringing and I figured that he was busy and wasn’t going to bother him (I didn’t even leave a message), Chris White called me right back. Then there is Lindsey Racing who also spent time with me on the telephone. Who exactly do you call concerning 951 issues with the Link AFM MAP? Danno or Link USA? I’ve stated this several times. The most help that I received with my MAP system was from Fast 951 (and again read his comments about the Lnk). Now that Chris White has one of these units in his hands and, in my determined, forgets more about our cars in his sleep that 96.9% of the board knows, I cannot wait to see what he thinks – in my humble opinion.
Finally, let’s not get into the reliability issue with the AFM Link MAP
Old 01-12-2006, 03:07 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Here is a link to some of the info I have on the AFMLink: Link.zip

I still may work on my datalogging program... It is really on the back burner. If there was some interest on the board, that might help speed up the process.
Here is a link to the current version: Serial In.zip
Old 01-13-2006, 06:35 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Does any of that stuff help Chris?
PM or mail me if you have any specific questions. I can send you some of my settings if you'd like, but most likely they are going to be very different than yours...

Quick Reply: AFM Link Help