944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally got the car back...but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005 | 10:30 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Default Finally got the car back...but...

Well after many months of cursing, fighting, etc...help from other Rennlisters, and finally giving in and having a buddy of my bro-in-law's finish up, I got the car back with the new clutch in yesterday.

Drove back to work, and all seemed just fine...nice day, windows down, etc.
I didn't notice until I was up on the freeway that my AC vents are blowing hot air. Not "hot" like you need freon, but hot like the heat is on, but nothing, mind you, nothing was on.

Anyone got any ideas? Vac line off somewhere? Heater core valve of some kind? I called the shop back and of course they would be happy to checck it out. For a fee I'm sure...lol...anyway, the car has been sitting under construction for nearly 3 mos. and all was well when it went on jackstands the first time.

HELP!!! I am hopeful that this is something easy to fix (heck what couldn't be after that clutch!).

Thanks in advanced!!
Old 12-28-2005 | 10:45 AM
EdC
Pro

Cheap fix. There is a small clip that has broken under the dash the works the heater rods directing airflow. When it fails, it fails in the full heat mode. Check at Clark's garage they show this cheap fix. The most difficult part is getting yourself under the dash. The part is not much money and is readily available. See http://www.clarks-garage.com/ and go to the shop manual, "H", heater malfunctions.

From Clark's:
"On late model 944s (1985.5 and newer), there are several problems that can cause the full heat condition. The first and most common problem is a damper linkage in the driver's side footwell (for left-hand drive cars). Stick your head in the footwell and look up and toward the center console. You should see a small diameter metal rod which rests in a white plastic support and is held in place by a metal retaining clip. On later model 944s, there are two damper linkages instead of one and they are located behind a plastic cover. One of the plastic clips on the linkage may be broken preventing the linkage from operating the damper. When the damper fails to operate, the system fails to full heat. Most German cars are designed to fail this way. It's a safety feature to keep you from freezing in winter. The first picture below shows a linkage that has come loose from the support because the metal clip is broken. The second picture show the linkage properly in place with a new support and clip along with the part numbers for the support and clip."
Old 12-28-2005 | 12:35 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Thanks Ed! Any ideas what causes this? Seem like something like that would be caused by some stress, etc...as I said, the car has been up on jackstands, etc for about 3 mos.
Old 12-28-2005 | 01:05 PM
EdC
Pro

The plastic or nylon clip just gets old and one of the tiny ears break and it can longer hold onto either the activating arm or the rod. When you compare the old broken clip with a new one you'll understand. No reason to try to improve the design,, as it would be more work that just replacing. Just buy a couple of extra clips for future use and convenience. They won't break the bank.
Old 12-28-2005 | 01:21 PM
dr pepper
Instructor

Default Fan just stays on

I have a similar problem (I think)

For me whenever I start the car the fan just comes on and stays on. The temperature will adjust if I change the settings but it will not turn completely off even when I turn the siwtch to do so.
Any ideas?
Old 12-28-2005 | 07:16 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

check the vacuum line on the water control valve under the hood often missed or left unhooked when clutch is done with no vacuum the hot water flows to the heater core dont tear the dash apart before you check it located at the firewall about the center rear of the engine, they are often broken by mechanics that dont pay attention when working in that area
Old 12-28-2005 | 07:24 PM
special tool
Banned

Well - I would check the vac line first- because there is about a 108% chance (DAMN GOOD CHANCE) that it was dislodged by the guy trying to deal with those motherf,,,,in ground straps on the bellhousing.
Old 12-28-2005 | 08:19 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

From my experience, it is more likely that the vacuum line for the heater control valve got knocked loose like Special tool mentioned. Especially if you did not have the problem prior to the clutch.
Old 12-29-2005 | 01:57 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Yeah its one of two things. Heater clip broke (mine broke out of no where, had the a/c blowing fresh cold air, then a second later 120* air. It was hell) or the vacuum line and or heater valve is busted. Both are easy cheap fixes. If its not those it might be some thing much more serious that i have no idea how to fix .

-Ian

Quick Reply: Finally got the car back...but...