Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to both
Old 12-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tensioner that you refer to is just a spring tensioner. Now if you do it right, it gets the belt VERY close, but usually not perfect. The auto tensioner, was on the 968 engine IIRC.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the tool needed with '89 engines? I thought they had a self-tensioner?
The factory manual states that you must always check the tensioner with the 9201 gauge. I have done 4 belt jobs on cars with the tensioner. Each one I checked with the 9201 gauge and each time the tensioner set the belt to the specified tension perfectly.

Be advised that the tensioner is NOT a self/automatic/continuous tensioner. It will NOT self adjust. The tensioner has a proceedure to follow when a new belt or a re-tension is done. Basicaly you pull back the tensioner and lock it. Remove old and install new belt. Release lock nut and tensioner will snap into the new belt. Lock down tensioner nut and you should be at the spec tension. All manual, nothing automatic about it. It deffinately is easier than tensioning on an engine without.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can rent the factory tool from Zimm's.
Ask for Kirk - or anyone - they're very helpful.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:39 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory manual states that you must always check the tensioner with the 9201 gauge. I have done 4 belt jobs on cars with the tensioner. Each one I checked with the 9201 gauge and each time the tensioner set the belt to the specified tension perfectly.

Be advised that the tensioner is NOT a self/automatic/continuous tensioner. It will NOT self adjust. The tensioner has a proceedure to follow when a new belt or a re-tension is done. Basicaly you pull back the tensioner and lock it. Remove old and install new belt. Release lock nut and tensioner will snap into the new belt. Lock down tensioner nut and you should be at the spec tension. All manual, nothing automatic about it. It deffinately is easier than tensioning on an engine without.
Bill, thanks for the good explanation (also for the calibration info). I also have an '89 & was wondering if the tensioner was self adjusting or not.

Quick Reply: Rent 9201 tool?