Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wide Fender & Rear Body Kit For Rolex

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's not the stock nose piece and it has the LR "fugly panel" (IMHO) so it's bound to be off a bit. I'm not sure dmoffit was looking for purty as much as lite.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you have a lot of cash, you could allways take the car to a world renoun Hot Rod shop like Chip Foose, Rad Rides by Troy, or Boyd Coddington. They all do crazy perfect stuff in steel.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

You can use the 968TRS flares , cover the rivets/lip with fiberglass/bondo and hope it does not crack. Second, you can duplicate the above mentioned flares in steel and weld them on, better choice IMO. Pulling the metal on the fenders is easily done by a competent bodyshop with "flat panel round fenders" (lack of better word) like the flared arches on the Porsche involved E500/500E of the 92-94 vintage. It would be very difficult to achieve , and make to look cosmeticly right , on the 951 due to the boxed fenders.
Whatever path you choose you have to paint the entire car, maybe you get away with not to paint the roof but the rest has to be sprayed if you want it to look perfect. Nobody will be able to match the paint on a 17 year old car no matter how much it was cared for, you put those blend jobs under neon or sunlight and a trained eye will spot it right away.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:16 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the main problem is grip, have you considered a different compound? What kind of tires do you run now and how do you use the car?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Sam, we just tacked it on so it could be put on my the trailer, it wasnt exactly "perfect". IIRC I attached a few body panels with zip ties for that bit of transport....
Old 12-21-2005, 09:29 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

haha, nevermind then!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sweanders
If the main problem is grip, have you considered a different compound? What kind of tires do you run now and how do you use the car?
Anders: If you go to my web site, you can see a section about the current rims/tires set-up and future mods too. The car is away for the winter now, but when Special Tool and I drove it we had traction issues. He car has the same problem. If I drive it in 3rd gear @13/14 PS, and punch it at 60 MPH, the back breaks loose pretty bad. Currently, I have brand new 225s front & 265s back. ST has 275s on the back and has the same problem as myself. Hence, why I am looking to getting wider. Check my web site for the info. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Rolex, one thing to consider the rims are holding you back more than the fenders. I love the look of your wheels but you will have to go wider with a wider tire. I know you can fit 295s under the back on stock fenders and that matched with some good tires should hold traction pretty well. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Anders: If you go to my web site, you can see a section about the current rims/tires set-up and future mods too. The car is away for the winter now, but when Special Tool and I drove it we had traction issues. He car has the same problem. If I drive it in 3rd gear @13/14 PS, and punch it at 60 MPH, the back breaks loose pretty bad. Currently, I have brand new 225s front & 265s back. ST has 275s on the back and has the same problem as myself. Hence, why I am looking to getting wider. Check my web site for the info. Thanks.

Uhm.. I didn't ask what size tires but what kind..

If you are running a good R-Compund I would be impressed if you have (massive) problems with grip. When in the US I have noticed that a lot of people have massive threadwear on their tires. Here in Europe we can't even get some tires like for example the Michelin PS version with a TW rating of 400(!!)

If you run mostly in the dry maybe you should use Michelin PS Cup or Pirelli Corsa R-Compounds?

Btw, the widest I have run in a 951 is 295's in the rear with no rubbing.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:31 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Btw if you are running a 225/265 combo it must be rather boring handling wise..

I was under the impression that you are a good driver after you posting about your experience, I am surprised that you are asking such basic questions..
Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rolex, I have quite alot of fiberglass parts on my car, LR nose, GT racing racing front bumper, AIR lip, IFC sides and rear. The IFC stuff is molded like rear wide fenders would be. Everything is perfect, unless people are familiar with the car they think the sides and rear are stock. A fender liner is a good idea though fiberglass fragile but easily repairable. When I go wide body in the winter of 07' I will use just the AIR rear panals and keep the stock front. I think you can get wide enough tires as is under the stock front fenders. I think it would look cool with the exaderated width of the rear, and the stock fronts look wider than the stock rears, I believe it should be the opposit. Good luck and can't wait to see.

Have you considered stickier tires, I have 275 falken rt 615, they are in between a R compound and a max performance. Or maybe a pilot sport cup would be good?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Uhm.. I didn't ask what size tires but what kind..

If you are running a good R-Compund I would be impressed if you have (massive) problems with grip. When in the US I have noticed that a lot of people have massive threadwear on their tires. Here in Europe we can't even get some tires like for example the Michelin PS version with a TW rating of 400(!!)

If you run mostly in the dry maybe you should use Michelin PS Cup or Pirelli Corsa R-Compounds?

Btw, the widest I have run in a 951 is 295's in the rear with no rubbing.
I dont know off of the top of my head what compund the Bridgestone S03 are? I run the car all the time dry, it won't see rain nor snow as far as I can help it! So you have 295 and they dont rub at all with your car? Really? But I dont know your off-sets too. What are you running size wise in the front?

black944 turbo: I know the rims are holding me back. But the are brand spanking new so I don't want to get rid of them, they are beautiful. I want to go as wide as I can, but still maintain the neutral balance. In the future, I'll probably get custom CCWs. But thanks, you're another telling me that 295s should be able to fit in the back.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Btw if you are running a 225/265 combo it must be rather boring handling wise..

I was under the impression that you are a good driver after you posting about your experience, I am surprised that you are asking such basic questions..
I will be the first to admit that I don't know these cars at all. This is my first 944T. And I never admitted to being an expert with a 944T nor tires. Hence, why I am asking people. Two, the current set-up was highly recommended to me by Wheel Enhancment who knows these cars pretty well. Another sourse I relied upon for the best set-up.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 AM
sweanders
Race Director

The BS S03 is a very good street tire but it gets a bit mushy when hot.

When I ran 295's I had a set of 993 tt wheels and a combination of spacers on my car which has different (early) ET than yours. I have since sold the spacers and wheels.. I believe they were 23+6 mm spacers with a stock 993tt rear wheel.

A lot of 944 people I know try and run the same width tire front and rear or perhaps a small (10-20 mm) difference with wider in the rear. This combined with a good alignment will get you a good handling with the slightest hint of understeer to make the car controllable on the limit of traction.

If you have not tried the Michelin PS Cup tires and only drive the car in the dry I think it would be a good but pricey option. Myself I run Pirelli Corsa R-comp. now which are a little easier to get heat into than the Cup tires but they can't take as much heat as the Michelins.

Try R-compounds, just take it easy when they are cold. And get something wider up front. Myself I run 8" with 235's in the front and 9" with 245's in the rear.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The BS S03 is a very good street tire but it gets a bit mushy when hot.

When I ran 295's I had a set of 993 tt wheels and a combination of spacers on my car which has different (early) ET than yours. I have since sold the spacers and wheels.. I believe they were 23+6 mm spacers with a stock 993tt rear wheel.

A lot of 944 people I know try and run the same width tire front and rear or perhaps a small (10-20 mm) difference with wider in the rear. This combined with a good alignment will get you a good handling with the slightest hint of understeer to make the car controllable on the limit of traction.

If you have not tried the Michelin PS Cup tires and only drive the car in the dry I think it would be a good but pricey option. Myself I run Pirelli Corsa R-comp. now which are a little easier to get heat into than the Cup tires but they can't take as much heat as the Michelins.

Try R-compounds, just take it easy when they are cold. And get something wider up front. Myself I run 8" with 235's in the front and 9" with 245's in the rear.
Thanks for the advice, especially since you are speaking from personal experience. And when I was talking about the tires not having traction, they weren't even hot at all to get mushy.

The PS Cup sound like the way to go, even if they are pricey. I'll look into it. Also, I was recommened to go with a set-up of 255/35 and Rear 285/30 by "MattH" on here. If I'm not mistake, he not only is a 944T owner, but also works for a tire company too, I believe Bridgestone? Based upon alot of people on here now, I'm now leaning to even try the 295s too. The one thing to consider with me is that my car puts down a decent amount of RWHP, and I'm hoping it will be more too. I'd rather have the car understeer a bit than overstreer and have the back-end whip around. I have to be aware of this since Im putting down more RWHP than most modded 951s. Hence again why I think 295s should be optimal for street tires for me.

And thanks again for the education. As I said, this car is my first 944T. So I don't know a thing about them, let alone one that puts down better than average RWHP. So it's been a learning curve for me.

Quick Reply: Wide Fender & Rear Body Kit For Rolex