Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boosting past 15 psi with LBE set LOW.. why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:01 PM
faithless
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting past 15 psi with LBE set LOW.. why?

I got a used LBE a few weeks ago and installed it. The person from whom I bought it said the valve was set to factory spec, which is 10 psi. Since the jam nut on the valve was rounded (obviously it has been changed once), I decided not to take any chances and lower it a few threads. At that time, I assumed I was running below 10 psi on the valve, which should have kept me under 15 psi in the manifold. I decided to buy a separate VDO boost gauge for tuning purposes since I can't trust my gauges right now. The in-dash gauge was reading over 2 bar, but I didnt trust that since I figured I should be below 15 psi; I assumed that the gauge was wrong (my fuel gauge is also incorrect and sometimes my temperature gauge bounces around). When I installed the VDO gauge and took my car for a spin, I was getting ~18 psi from (I think) about 4,000 to redline. It was fairly difficult reading my gauge because I have it temporarily mounted very low in the car. I took the LBE off and I unscrewed it to the end and set the jam nut on it at about 1-2 turns from the end. It is at such a low setting that I can actually blow the valve open with my lungs, and I know this can't be more than 1-2 psi. Even at this LOW setting, I'm running 15 psi on my gauge. Without any boost controller at all, I get about 12-13 psi.

I just don't get why the thing could increase my boosting level when the valve is set to open at 2 psi. Lindsey says in their documentation that 10 psi is the factory setting that allows the car to run at 15 psi maximum without overboosting. The whole purpose of this thing is to give me quicker spool up. There is no way it can be doing that if it lets the stupid wastegate open up at 2 psi. Or is there? Maybe I just don't get it.

The car is an S, has a Bursch 2.5 test pipe and Weltmeister chips.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:12 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- your OEM boost guage reads absolute. "1" equals atmosphere. When it says 2, that means 1 on any other guage in the universe, except Porsche, becasue they are "special"

-make sure you don't have the LBE backwards - that will do it.

-remove the air line from the wastegate to the LBE. Check it with an electron microscope to make sure it doesn't have any leaks and that it is still connected.(that will do it) Or, buy a new line.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM
faithless
Pro

Thanks for the reply Lutjens,

I haven't been able to check the wastegate line yet, but I doubt it will be much of a problem. I've been too deeply involved with other PITA jobs in the past month to pay attention to my boosting issue.

I'm skeptical if the line is the issue though, because if it were, I would also expect to see overboosting without the LBE installed. From my measurement without the LBE on, it seems that the wastegate is opening well and fast enough because it stays right at or below the 15 psi mark.

Right now I'm leaning more toward there being an issue with the CV possibly interfering with the operation of the LBE, but this is just my own speculation; I dont know much about the CV operation. Is it possible that the CV might be sitting partially open, and thus not allowing a clean path without restriction on the control pressure line? In my speculation, that could possibly be the cause of my issue.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Plus with a test pipe in there you should pick up 1-2psi with lower restriction. You gauge could also be off some as well, mine is off by 1psi (reads 15 when really 14). I found this out when I was getting work done to my car and the shop hooked up thier gauge. Just thought I would throw that out as a FYI for you.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 AM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike1982
Plus with a test pipe in there you should pick up 1-2psi with lower restriction. You gauge could also be off some as well, mine is off by 1psi (reads 15 when really 14). I found this out when I was getting work done to my car and the shop hooked up thier gauge. Just thought I would throw that out as a FYI for you.
Interesting point about the test pipe, I didn't know that.

Quick Reply: Boosting past 15 psi with LBE set LOW.. why?