Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Regarding "there is no replacement for dis..." and track vs street engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:31 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jimbo sorry to go offtopic but, how much power are you making with that combo in your sig?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Last time I dynoed I made 355rwhp and 358 rwt at 17psi. I added a few things since then. I really dont like to throw out numbers until I have it on paper but it close to 400 at the wheels now.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Last time I dynoed I made 355rwhp and 358 rwt at 17psi. I added a few things since then. I really dont like to throw out numbers until I have it on paper but it close to 400 at the wheels now.
Nice numbers pal! And that's at a low boost level too. And what's that fuel pump #"004" rated up to? Never heard of it.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:23 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Rob. Yea that pump can suck the water out of my swimming pool in no time.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:28 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
A street car is something that can legally pass a state emissions test. To classify a car as street worthy It must meet those requirements.
this is not uniform either, there is no emissions testing where i live, or any kind of mechanical or visual inspection either.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

this is not uniform either, there is no emissions testing where i live, or any kind of mechanical or visual inspection either.

same here.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:57 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by shaheed
Well aren't you guys lucky. I had to install my cat, pass the test, take the cat off. At least it's every 2 years and not every year. Still a pain.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:08 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

lucky? nah we're just living by the standards of the areas where we choose to live. i think people who live in metropolitan areas or states that have air pollution issues tend to assume that everyone is subjected to emissions testing. not true, many areas of the country don't do it.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM
special tool
Banned

Duke - actually I agree with you, as usual.
I fully intend to do the max pump gas with this head after I get the knock system.
That will be a true street number.
New baby has slowed me down, a little.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
New baby has slowed me down, a little.
Totally acceptable excuse....I won't be on your *** for at least...hmm...say 2 days, promise!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
What if, as I do, you fill up with 100 octane race gas on every other fill up. If I'm actually running race gas on a day to day, street car, then haven't I just made a choice to run more expensive equipment (race gas) in my street car? It's still a street car, and gets driven everyday, but I can crank up the boost reliably. Why should somone say mine is not a street car, or street performance engine, because I choose to run race gas? It's on the street. It's not NOS, and I drive it daily. Why shouldn't my numbers count? Not a flame BTW.
It's a difficult question, and I do think your numbers are "valid" with the above information.

But to each and his own, and to me it really comes down to availability. Race fuel in most countries are only available in whole barrells and not through pumps.
Say for instance if I have a girlfriend, I want to able to take my street 951 to visit her parents 200 km away and still have access to whatever HP-number I claim for my "street" car.
Not having to worry about ordering 2 barrells of VP 2 weeks ahead just to able to have all my horses ready for THE race (late Lambo, Ferrari or whatever) that might appear on a a highway half way there.

If I in that very situation only have access to 65% of the HP I claim for my "street" car only because I use regular pump gas (as any "street" car) I would have a hard time justify my glorious race gas numbers.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:27 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Porsche-O-Phile]It's like the johnson-measuring contest in the boys bathroom in grade school - the kid with the partial boner is gonna' win regardless of whether he's really "longer" or not.
Which is "better"? Nobody knows - matter of opinion. Put another way: "it's not how deep you fish, it's how you wiggle your worm. QUOTE]

Ok, first.. this was alittle wierd...

2nd, Forget "what do you run, race fuel or pump" Its the "why do you need it"

If you need high octane its because you have a built motor (same as most track cars).

There for, in my book, its a track car. You can get away with alot, when registering your car.

If we are going to class cars, We could have an all out HP/boost level or "open class" and we, as a bench mark, should have a 1 bar class.

That way if its an Open class, who cares what fuel/mechanicals your using.
apples it apples is same boost use what ever you need to get there.

Street and track motors are not all that different. Many good drivers don't need HP to win. They need to drive well and finish.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 PM
special tool
Banned

[QUOTE=Porsche-O-Phile]It's like the johnson-measuring contest in the boys bathroom in grade school - the kid with the partial boner is gonna' win regardless of whether he's really "longer" or not.
Which is "better"? Nobody knows - matter of opinion. Put another way: "it's not how deep you fish, it's how you wiggle your worm. QUOTE]

Dude.......where did you go to school?
Haight-Ashbury elementary?.......or Provincetown Prep???
Old 12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by evil 944t
If you need high octane its because you have a built motor (same as most track cars).
...or,you can have a fully built engine... but built for serious boost on pump. Like,a proper STREET car...
Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skunk Workz
...or,you can have a fully built engine... but built for serious boost on pump. Like,a proper STREET car...
true, I agree. It seems this board likes pushing stock bottom ends with bolt ons.. sorry

Quick Reply: Regarding "there is no replacement for dis..." and track vs street engines