Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bursch Cat Test Pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:26 PM
stonecreek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bursch Cat Test Pipe ?

Now that my 951 is parked for the winter I can do some work on it. I see pelicanparts.com sells the bursch test pipe, does the 951 get to loud without the cat, my exhaust is factory?

And how does the 951 perform without the cat. My 951 has the autothority MAF unit with stage 2 chips, shimmed WG, boost holds solid at 16 psi and the A/F is fine.

The reason I ask is because I had a miata that I installed a GREEDY turbo kit on, and after removing the cat the <2500 rpm engine responce died.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:31 PM
jean_noir
Racer

I have a 2.5 cat bypass pipe - I believe it is similiar to a bursch - (i will be selling it soon to goto a full 3") but it does spool up faster(approx 2-3k) not stellar but better - the sound is virtually the same - but I worry about the smog test down the line.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the cat punched out. It makes a huge difference in power and it makes it a little bit louder in the higher rpms. Its really a nice sound but nothing too noticeable.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:26 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I gutted the main cat on mine and replaced the WG cat with a straight pipe. The idle has more of a burble to it in the interior and the exhaust note is slightly more throaty throughout the rev-range. The turbo response is better, spool is quicker (not to mention more audible!) and boost rolls on faster. The overall power might have increased slightly, but nothing too drastic here.

Well worth the time and money, IMO.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Yup, what they all said^^^^^. Not much louder & it does help with spool up.

Do it!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of your noise can be handled by the muffler. As for the low end torque issue, NA cars benefit from some exhaust restriction to create torque, but turbo cars need as little restriction AFTER THE TURBO as possible. Our cars have headers designed to increase exhaust velocity to the turbo, allowing enhanced spool time characteristics. When you add the exhaust, spend the money for a larger (3" or 4") that includes a larger down pipe from the turbo all the way back. That is your optimum solution. Youmay consider Lindsey Racing or Speed Force Racing in addition to Bursch. Nothing wrong w/ Bursch, but LR and SFR are much more common ib the 951 community for a pretty good reason.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bursch test pipes are junk in my opinion. I tried one on my street/track TurboS. It fitted poorly and rotted out and failed in approx 1 year. I went back to the Porsche CAT and rodded it out. Fits perfect and its stainless steel. If I wasn't so cheap I would replace the cat with a proper stainless steel 3" pipe but I wouldn't waste money again on Bursch. I run with just a stainless Supertrapp tip, Baffle plates on for winter, straight through for summer/track. Not for everyone but neither is a track car on the street either.

Quick Reply: Bursch Cat Test Pipe ?