Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Quick question about timing gear on crank, and balance shaft gears....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Quick question about timing gear on crank, and balance shaft gears....

Ok I think I might have put my timing belt gear on the crank on backwards (the smaller timing belt gear, not the big balance shaft gear). Does the flared end of the gear go towards the engine or against the balance shaft gear? Its not a big deal because I can still pull it off and switch it at the moment if it is wrong. Also does the timing belt have a certain direction? Mine has a few arrows on it but I wasn't sure if they meant anything.

Also I was stupid and forgot to look at this when I was taking them off but the balance shaft gears have two slots in them for the woodruff key. One of the slots has a 0 above it, should that slot be used with the woodruff key or the other slot? I know one of them is for the disc to slide into but I can't remember which way it went.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the timing belt gear goes on with the 'lip' towards the outside. I only remember this as I used the lip to pull it off with the gear puller.

Can't help you with the other questions, although I think the "0" is actually an "O", which stands for some german word for top (or is it bottom).
Old 12-11-2005, 07:57 PM
kos_007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very important! As stated above the lip on the crank gear faces out, towards the front.Now the balance shafts: With TDC marks on the camshaft sprocket and on the flywheel aligned: the "o" mark on the upper balance shaft should be up and at the location of the woodruff key.The "o" mark on the lower balance shaft sprocket should be down and oposite to woodruff key.Marks on the sprockets must be aligned witht the notch (upper) and with the tab (lower) on the rear belt cover. If you do not get it right you will have terrible engine vibration.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

So should the "o" on the upper balance shaft be the slot that the woodruff key goes into? But the lower balance shaft should NOT use the "o" slot? Just trying to fully clarify.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:49 PM
kos_007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that is right, the "o" on the lower balance sprocket should be oposite the woodruff key.After installing the belt and with the crank in TDC the notch on the upper balance sprocket should be aligned with the notch on the back cover at 1 o'clock and the notch on the lower sprocket should be aligned with the tab at 7 o'clock.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Are you positive this is correct? I am looking at the haynes manual right now and it is showing the "o" lined up with the woodruff key on both top and bottom balance shafts.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Okay, nevermind you were right. I just read on clark's garage and figured out everything I needed to know about the balance shafts. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Quick question about timing gear on crank, and balance shaft gears....