Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help removing exhaust header ... please

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Thanks zero, and thanks again to Tom as it's in his write-up too. I'll try this tomorrow morning.

more help please: I assume I need to remove the oil pressure relief valve before I remove the housing? And for the turbo assy, do I get to it by removing the 'plug' with the ~20mm hex socket between the oil filter and the engine?
Yes, you should remove the relief valve first -- everything is easier that way. Not sure what turbo assy you are referring to? The big hex socket is part of the housing and need not be removed unless you are trying to get to the oil thermostat itself, which you don't need to do to replace the oil seals (and, by the way, removing that plug ain't easy).
Old 12-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I thought about drilling that plug to install an oil bypass filtration kit, but if it's that hard to remove, maybe I'll find another way.
Best of luck on removing it. It isn't easy, I won't lie there. You will be cursing something fierce on re-assembly, wondering just how you are going to hold the seals in the right place, and get everything torqued down nicely. Take your time, take a break, whatever it takes, it is possible.

In case you don't already know, you need the power steering pump to be out of the way, and on some cars, you have to bend one of the power steering lines. There is no harm in doing this, as long as you don't kink it.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again Tom and zero. I had the oil thermostat & OPRV locations mixed up (first time doing this). Should I just skip replacing the oil thermostat? I thought I might do it 'while I was in there', but if it doesn't need to be done and it a big pain, maybe not ....
Old 12-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Thanks again Tom and zero. I had the oil thermostat & OPRV locations mixed up (first time doing this). Should I just skip replacing the oil thermostat? I thought I might do it 'while I was in there', but if it doesn't need to be done and it a big pain, maybe not ....

Good while you're in there stuff includes:

New oil sender
New oil lines (and crush washers under brass fittings)
New OPRV o-rings
Sway bar bushings (w/ a little extra work)
p/s belt
oil filter
Updates P/S to resevoir hose
P/S pump crush washers

I'd skip the thermostat -- you can boil the housing in peanut oil to see if the thermostat opens -- if you are truly obsessive (like me)
Old 12-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Tom's list.
Also a good time to re-seal your power steering pump if it leaks.
Leave the thermostat. I've never heard of one going bad.
Tom, just curious that big allen-key plug on top, what size is it?... is it 17mm like the transmission plugs?
Is it before or after the thermostat? Just wondering if I can drill and tap it as an oil feed line. It's in a very convenient location.

Quick Reply: Help removing exhaust header ... please