944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Proper way to use heat (torch) on bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005 | 05:48 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

I have used a car jack to apply insane force. Position the wrench squarely on top of the jack, and start cranking the jack up. Works like a charm.

Another trick that was popular on an isuzu forum I used to frequent was to rotate a long wrench towhere it is braced firmly against the pavement or frame, and then pulse the starter motor. This is of course assuming you are talking about a bolt centered on the crank, not some bolt out at the edge of a disk. Be careful. Very careful.
Old 12-03-2005 | 10:01 PM
azmi951
Drifting

my brother worked at an engine machine shop and his method was to heat stuck bolts but not to get them glowing. Anything near or past glowing anneals them (removes heat treatment). After heating the bolt he would quench the bolt with WD40 or PB Blaster. This shrinks the bolt and not the parent material while allowing the oil to penitrate.

This worked wonders on my locktite red flywheel bolts and I just used a crappy propane torch.
Old 12-03-2005 | 11:17 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

I'm getting ready to do the whole front end of my engine. I'm wondering who has used an impact wrench set on low settings to free the bolts/nuts that seem to hold everyone up. I would like to use lots of penetrating lube the day before and then use my 3/8 impact that loosen. Is this exceptable and done? If not I will use a breaker bar and jack handle but I would prefer not to.

THanks, Josh
Old 12-05-2005 | 05:35 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Am I crazy or can I do this?
Old 12-06-2005 | 12:19 AM
a4944
Racer

Hi Josh,
I can't comment on the impact wrench but if you get a good 6 pt socket and a 5 ft pipe to put over your breaker bar than it should come off OK. I made the mistake of using a 12 pt socket and then a cheap 6 pt before getting a good 6 pt socket and a long pipe. It does help to get the radiator fans out of the way but I had to remove a bunch of coolant lines to get the fan assembly out. I did have a flywheel lock installed. Perhaps someone else will comment on the impact wrench. I've read some other posts which indicated a high power impact wrench is required.

Mark

Quick Reply: Proper way to use heat (torch) on bolts