Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sunroof opens by itself on freeway...!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you also know the race car transformation story?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:09 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders

No, spill the beans. Wassup? PM me if you don't want to go into details here....
Old 12-01-2005, 10:34 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to add, the least of yours problems is rain getting in. Make sure you fix this problem before venturing onto the expressway again. You can very likely end up with your roof panel becoming a giant frisbee if those front latches dont hold.
Wow! Thanks guys, now I am concerned... Seems a lot more serious than I thought...

I definitely need to get it fixed. I briefly read the Clark's Garage page, but I am still confused of which part causes the problem (microswitch? those plastic wheels? cable? All of the above?). Any more advise to scoop down the troubleshooting, before I start to take things apart?

With best regards,
- Alex (87 951)
Old 12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
sweanders
Race Director

The plastic wheels are cheap, buy a few extra so you can afford to chew one or two upwhile learning. The microswitches can also fail but they are usually just out of adjustment and the cable is kind of hard to break.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:41 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

axho - like the others have said, I would be checking the microswitches on the motor assy (driver's side rear hatch area behind the side carpeting), and I would also recommend looking at the writeup on clarks-garage.com. That's the resource I used to fix my sunroof and it was very helpful. You also want to look at the gears under the back headliner cover that push the arms up.

In the meantime, when you operate the switch and look in the crack between the sunroof and the headliner cover, you should be able to see the arms moving. If they are retracting all the way into the headliner cover the rear of the sunroof is not locked down. They need to be far enough into the sunroof to lock the rear down, but not far enough to start pushing the sunroof up (if you want to keep it closed). Hope that mad sense. If they are not retraced all the way into the headliner and it's still lifting at speed then theres something messed up with the latches either on the arms ar the sunroof itself. It's a lot more likely that they are retracting all the way.

BUT, since you mentioned pushing the sunroof from the inside and it seemed to be locked down and then it still lifts at speed, it could be some teeth are missing from the gears under the headliner cover and maybe the arms are slipping down into the fully retracted position while you drive along. maybe check if you can push the sunroof up AFTER this happens at speed to see if it still appears to be locked down. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
I like stories send me all the info you got
testarossatd@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
I like stories send me all the info you got
testarossatd@gmail.com
Nothing of general interest really, I PM:ed Tifo about it.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was doing this and it ended up being the two plastic pieces in the rood it self. the one the the arms go into. the little hump in the pladtic piece was cracked and let the roof up. I replaced those and it is good as new. I'd check those first as it is much easier to do that the microswitches or the gears in the top of the car. Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:22 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks mtnman82 and everyone,

I tried the advise to close the sunroof just enough, not retracting the cable too much, and it seemed to hold the sunroof closed on the freeway around 60mph.

I hope this tempoary solution can buy me some time before I do the real fix (take things apart, change parts, adjustment, etc.).

With best regards,
- Alex (87 951)

Quick Reply: Sunroof opens by itself on freeway...!?