944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TiT or ToT.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005 | 03:45 PM
AlexE
Pro

My own experience on #4. I managed to blow #4 twice within a month of each other in the name of science.

I was playing around trying to see what the max my setup would handle..... +20psi, 91 octane, aftermarket turbo.

AFR's were near perfect (actually slightly rich). I was able to see a spike on EGT's on #4 both times it let go............... both gaskets let go at the same location........You can clearly see that #4 was being heavily pounded on throughout the entire circumference of the ring...........

On a side note. I was able to drop my EGT's with Lindseys intake by 50 degrees at various driving modes......
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

alex,
your observation is correct , Run a colder plug in number 4 it will help with your situation.
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:55 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
alex,
your observation is correct , Run a colder plug in number 4 it will help with your situation.
Would it be wise to mix ranges of the plugs? What would be the reason for predetonation in the #4 cylinder - intake restriction or something else?
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
Would it be wise to mix ranges of the plugs? What would be the reason for predetonation in the #4 cylinder - intake restriction or something else?
Cylinder bore and head hot spots , is the usual culprits.
Mixing ranges will not harm anything but it will help the no 4 handle the temps on low octane gas. which is very sensitivity to temp changes , unlike race gas that gives you a high ceiling to play with where this is concerned.
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:05 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

And i guess you are the welcoming committee, to the club ,calling me a jackass , looking in the mirror there buddy ! Unbelievable !

and only 47 post to boot, then tell me when i can`start responding to personal attacks, as special tool was the one that fired first ,i responded as i'm not in to the disrespect business.
High post count only means you ain't got no life besides the net and when posters run out of arguments on the 951 board they resort to insults and threats , like "I am going to get you banned". The posters with a balanced ,unemotional and fact based attitude are definitly in the minority.

Now , 1600 -1700 deg egt's are a no go IMO . New VAG cars have Egt sensor as standard equipment (some even wideband!) and I have never been able to reach those temps even with ignorant tuning . In my experience serious engine damage would occur before that.
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:07 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Chris ,
Is a 2.6L 16v turbo still a PCA GT3 car ? as i heard the rules for 06 was changing .
I sure hope they don't change the rules....
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:13 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

also, the fact that our motors have an open deck desing might have something to do with so many blown head gaskets..
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Chris,

The n/a air cooled guys are crying in gt3 as strange things are happening so ther was talk about restrictors , adding weight and moving the 16v turbocars up
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:24 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Chris,

The n/a air cooled guys are crying in gt3 as strange things are happening so ther was talk about restrictors , adding weight and moving the 16v turbocars up
I have heard that crying….
Give me a break, do I whine that they weigh as much as 300-400 lbs less? Besides – how many 16v turbos are there out there?
I’ll go with the restrictor if they match my weight….!
PCA set up an advisory committee for 2006 that ‘may’ make a rules change suggestion for 2007.

A good question is where will they bump the 16v? to GT-2? That’s a NA class, so will the 16v get bumped to GT-1? Give me a break, 2.6l 16v 4cyl vs a lighter upto 3.8l 6 cyl???

One class in all of PCA racing that might be considered favorable to 944s and they want to change the rules….

Chris White
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
I have heard that crying….
Give me a break, do I whine that they weigh as much as 300-400 lbs less? Besides – how many 16v turbos are there out there?
I’ll go with the restrictor if they match my weight….!
PCA set up an advisory committee for 2006 that ‘may’ make a rules change suggestion for 2007.

A good question is where will they bump the 16v? to GT-2? That’s a NA class, so will the 16v get bumped to GT-1? Give me a break, 2.6l 16v 4cyl vs a lighter upto 3.8l 6 cyl???

One class in all of PCA racing that might be considered favorable to 944s and they want to change the rules….

Chris White

What is driving this ,is the sudden surge ( apparent surge or poss future wave)
of 911TT coming into gt3 and gt4. so the 944T's are being caught out in this and it did not help when Roy Chong pegged the rest of the field in gt3
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:30 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

sounds like this thread is getting off topic...
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:36 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
sounds like this thread is getting off topic...
I AGREE !
Chris if you want start a thread on this in the racing section !
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:42 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Happy to see this kind of technical involvement here.
A Wayne,

Thanks for your techincal input and the kind remark. Though I am not a professional in this industry, I struggle my way through the mechanical process and most of the time find a solution. I have taken night classes and almost have an AS degree in Automotive Technology, a couple of ASE certs and a smog license. Just one of my hobbies.

The interesting effect with EGTs is that as you make the mixture richer you will have a greater amount of excess fuel in the exhaust (incomplete combustion) that will continue to burn in the manifold.
Chris White,

As usual your input is valuable. I do understand the above point and in my efforts I have tried two methods to minimize this process. 1. I had 1 step colder than stock spark plugs, which I removed. My hope was to aid in a more complete burn and thus reduce temps inside the cat (possible source of Nox). Before my Nox problem, I installed colder iridium plugs with the small tip to aid in preventing knock. Also because my output is more than 100 hp over stock. And 2. By retarding timing, the combustion has more time for a complete burn before it get sent out the exhaust.

Your other points are great information. The more excited the gas molecules, the faster they expand, the quicker spool. This is a great edge. I had my exhaust ceramic coated to aid with this. However with my application, just for the street, I need to pass smog.
Old 12-01-2005 | 05:06 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

why doesnt someone just buy some frieking cumbustion temp sensors that go near the end of the sparkplug and find out!
Old 12-01-2005 | 05:15 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

you mean (cylinder head temperture) CHT's? I think it would be interesting to log CHT vs. egt data especially on cylinder #4

Quick Reply: TiT or ToT.?