Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Joseph Imports
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variable Turbine Geometry.....

Does Vitesse offer this yet?
J/K

"This technology allows the angle of the compressor’s turbine blades to continually adjust."

Variable Turbine Geometry

-Alex
Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
IanS
Instructor

Wow, thats the first I've heard of anyone overcoming the heat issue. This could be huge if its not ridiculously expensive.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Friggin' awesome. Porsche back in the driver's seat for R&D - I love it!

It's about time they started being "ahead of their time" again!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

These have been around for a while for big desiel engines. I did a net search for info on them about 3 months ago. There were a couple of experimental applications but nothing that really looked like it would crossover well. They eliminate the need for a BOV because the output of the turbo is controlled by regulating the flow thru the compressor instead of dumping exhaust pressure. The cool thing is that the exhaust turbine is always spooled to whatever exhaust is flowing thru it no matter how much of the compressor capability you are using.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

The VTG turbo will allow Porsche’s flat-six to mimic a twin-turbo setup with a much broader torque curve and more flexible powerband than a standard single turbo could provide on its own.
maybe someone should inform them that porsche has been using a twin turbo setup on the 911s for over a decade...
Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

So affordable variable-geometry turbo solutions for the 951 should be available in what. . . 10 or 15 years?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 AM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

Corky Bell has been using a similar turbo concept for years on some of his conversions (Miata and NSX). They call it a VATN turbo. He loves them. A search of his name or Cartech should bring more info for those interested.

Ian
Old 11-29-2005, 01:33 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

There were some Miata kits made up years ago. They were called Aerodyne in Dallas I think. They had a bad rep for coughing up blades or seizing at the most inopportune moments. They were killer for fast spool-up but lacked the holding boost of a fixed vane design. The combo of heat, super high RPM, and moving parts was something they couldn't overcome at least from that maker. They are no longer made for the Miata. Maybe Porsche will do this one right.

Originally Posted by miata.net
BEGI Aerodyne VATN Turbocharger

The Aerocharger, created by Aerodyne of Dallas, Texas, is in my opinion the world's most advanced turbocharger. Three features separate it from all others. It is self-lubricating (no oil lines), rotates on ball bearings, and has a feature called variable area turbine nozzles (VATN). The performance benefits are outstanding. Not only can a properly sized Aerocharger make half of its rated boost at just 1000 rpm, it can accelerate to boost producing speeds as fast as the foot can move the throttle. The full boost pressure of 7.5/8.0 PSI is all there by 2200 rpm. This actually creates the situation wherein full boost is available at virtually any rpm at which it is practical to drive the Miata. The Aerocharger actually has the ability to be a small turbo at low speed for the instant response and a big turbo at high speeds for the high horsepower. This Stage II system is selling for about $3500 from Team ProScreen.

Pro's:

* Fastest boost of any turbo system out there. NO LAG!
* Easiest install of any turbo system. Self lubricating, so the engine's oil pan does not need to be tapped.
* Very quiet: under hood and exhaust.

Con's:

* There have been some reliability issues. Corky Bell once stated that 1 out of 40 Aerodynes fail prematurely. Some have reported that the turbine seizes after about 1,000 miles.
* Getting a nice linear boost can be very tricky.
* Most expensive off all systems.
* Loose the cool exhaust tone.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 11-29-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IanS
Wow, thats the first I've heard of anyone overcoming the heat issue. This could be huge if its not ridiculously expensive.
I belive the heat issue was because the way the Diesels work is the hot side adjust. I BELIVE they were having heat issues with gas motors when the HOT side was changing. These turbos are adjusting on the cold side.
This is not confirmed but i belive thats what it is.

Did i read that article wrong or are they saying the new 997 turbo will have these turbos
Old 11-29-2005, 02:32 AM
IanS
Instructor

Originally Posted by TurboX
I belive the heat issue was because the way the Diesels work is the hot side adjust. I BELIVE they were having heat issues with gas motors when the HOT side was changing. These turbos are adjusting on the cold side.
This is not confirmed but i belive thats what it is. ...
You're right, it says compressor. I just read it incorrectly. I was assuming it was a gas version of the diesel VNT turbos, but apparently its something entirely new.

It'd still be cool to have an exhaust side VNT turbo.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Evan70
Pro

I'd been wondering when somebody was going to come up with this for gas engines. Banks has been doing it on diesels for a while now with some absolutely awesome results. Doubt we'll see anything for the 951s though within 1o years (if ever).
Old 11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Maybe Porsche will do this one right.
does porsche know how to do anything wrong, steve?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Originally Posted by TurboX
This is not confirmed but i belive thats what it is.
:
No, these are also changing the hotside geometry.
It's just an error in the text were it says "compressor’s turbine blades", first of all a compressor doesn't have turbine blades, it has impeller blades. The whole technology is even called variable TURBINE geometry, and the turbine is the hotside. And if you look at the picture you'll see that it is the hotside that they are showing.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So it's a toned down version of ther VATN ?

Isn't Corkey Bell the owner of Aerodyne?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like the turbos on the golf TDI's
Neat-o, I had never thought of it until I had one on my 05 golf TDI, can you say nearly-instant spool-up?
It's about time they really try to apply this to gas engines. They should go talk with whoever makes VW's turbos, because theirs have been operating very well for years now. The only problem they suffer from is soot build-up on the vanes, causing them not to move. I've never heard of the vanes grenading or anything.

Quick Reply: Variable Turbine Geometry.....