Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

wide fire head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:47 PM
spyderman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wide fire head gasket

hey, I have a quick question. im Building a hot 944 turbo moto and I ordered a widefire head gasket. for some reason I dont think its right. Does anyone have any pics of both sides of one I can see. also, who is the manufacturer for these. I know wrightwood racing makes them, but the one i got was from victor reinz. do the make them also?? thanks for the help
-Ken
Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Reinz makes them and they look basically identical to a stock HG, excepting the wider metal fire rings on each cylinder.

Sam
Old 11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Reinz makes them and they look basically identical to a stock HG, excepting the wider metal fire rings on each cylinder.

Sam
i thought it was wider on one cylinder?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, it is wider on one cylinder.

And on two cylinder, and on three cylinder, and on four cylinder.

Sam
Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Yes, it is wider on one cylinder.

And on two cylinder, and on three cylinder, and on four cylinder.
cha, cha, cha!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:02 PM
spyderman
Instructor

yea, but how much wider is it? the one I got is wider on the side facing the cylinder than the side facing the head. the side facing the head is 4mm and the side facing down is 8mm. any one know for sure??
Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Do a search. Danno had a really informative post regarding the WFHG. Basically he found that if you do not have an o-ringed head, it does absolutely nothing for you. It's designedto be 2mm wider on the head side to give the o-ring a better surface to mate with.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Do a search. Danno had a really informative post regarding the WFHG. Basically he found that if you do not have an o-ringed head, it does absolutely nothing for you. It's designedto be 2mm wider on the head side to give the o-ring a better surface to mate with.
Totally agree with Daniel the WFHG doesn't offer any advantages over the stock. If you want some better buy the MLS or cometic gasket.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM
stewardx
Instructor

the wide fires ring is about twice the width on the cylinder bore side of the gasket then the
cylinder head side.

Wes
Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by stewardx
the wide fires ring is about twice the width on the cylinder bore side of the gasket then the
cylinder head side.

Wes

LINK
Old 11-29-2005, 12:36 AM
spyderman
Instructor

very interesting link. I do have the head o ringed, that is why I am using the wide fire gasket. I guess I have the right one, it is about twice as wide on the bottom as it is on the top. it also has a knife edged and polished crank, carrillo rods, ARP head studs, ported and polished head and intake, and a lot of other stuff. thanks for the responses
Old 11-30-2005, 03:44 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

The widefire, does in fact offer advantages over a stock gasket.

The reason the one side of the metal ring is wider is to reduce the elongation of the fire ring. The elongation is and has always been a problem since the bores move so much (relatively speaking). If you look at it structurally, this is the only possible explanation.

How much is the difference? Who knows.

But if you look at every 2.7L, S2, and 968 gasket, you'll see basically the same gasket as the wide fire with the exception of the bore diameter and the water neck openening. (wider fire ring on one side).

The problem with all of the stock gaskets is that the fire ring is soooooo easily burned through. They need to make these with a stainless wire embedded in the "U" (ala American V8 gaskets).

TonyG

TonyG
Old 11-30-2005, 03:52 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

so would a WF HG be appropriate for an engine that never sees anything above 18psi or should a cometic HG be used?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 AM
stewardx
Instructor

i have run 30 psi on a wide fire with o-ring the problem you guys are having is the head has a steam pocket that cause an air over hydraulic compression of the gasket. we at LR have found the problem in the head and have a fix. it's our steam vent kit which removes the air pocket and lets is fill with coolant. If you look at the head gasket thats blown you will see that the gasket is pushed down over the water passage around the cylinder which pulls the ring out from under the cylinder o-ring not the pressure of the cylinder pushing it out. if this were the case it wouldn't always be push down it would go up and down
Old 12-02-2005, 02:52 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

stewardx

Who is "we at LR" ?

And what do you mean by "our" ? Are you part of "LR"?

Nevertheless, I don't "buy it".

The fire ring is elongating due to cylinder head and cylinder bore movement (or rather it's more likely the movement that allows the cylinder pressure to move the gasket). When this happens, there's no place for the gasket to go except into the only available area... which is down... between the cylinder block and the cylinder bore. It may be stretched as a result of this action, but nothing else.

The following statement is clearly not capable of happening since the gasket cannot go 'up'...:

" if this were the case it wouldn't always be push down it would go up and down"

Pretty basic stuff. And this is exactly the reason why Porsche ( and/or Victor Reinz) made the "wide fire" wider on one side of the fire ring... and is the exact same reason that all 2.7L, S2, and 968's have the exact same design.

The extra width on the side of the fire ring makes the fire ring structurally stronger with respect to elongation (nothing else).. and is probably why he engineers at Porsche and Victor Reinz made the changes they did (which is pretty much only usefull on a semi-stock application, which worked for them I'm sure).

BTW, I'm an EE, not a mechanical engineer.. what is, "air over hydraulic compression"?

TonyG

Quick Reply: wide fire head gasket