Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT - MB C230 kompressor: reliable daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:49 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT - MB C230 kompressor: reliable daily driver?

Just got back from a family gathering and found out that one of the in-laws is going to sell their 2003 C230 kompressor, 40k miles, which we can get for a fair price (low kbb). It is in exceptionally nice shape. The plan would be to replace an older Acura Integra ('87) for something newer, nicer and that I don't have to work on too much (the Acura is starting to nickle/dime us a lot - but it does get good gas milage, and is sufficiently gutless to match). So ..... I'm looking for feedback on reliability, drivability, pros, cons, etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:30 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure of the C230 but my wife has a C320 Sport Wagon that she loves. We have 34k on it, engine purrs, very smooth, and quiet. If that wagon had a set of coilovers, lower the ride height, and about another 50hp, it would be a fun "wagon" but I've been banned from modifications
Old 11-27-2005, 02:21 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had real good luck with all my Mercedes.

Didn't have a Kompressor but everything I had went well into the 150k's with no major issues.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ask over at mercedesshop.com. Thats where I went to inquire about a used 1998 C230, normaly aspirated. I checked into the supercharged ones also. From what i gathered the superchargers were made by the same company that makes them for GMC trucks. They crap out around 100k. I bought a 98 C230 w 58/miles three years ago.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

My old boss has a SLK 230 and loves it. Not sure how much difference in the 2.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Alpine - so, they make C230's that aren't supercharged? I've seen C230's on the road without the 'kompressor' logo on the rear, but just assumed they all had blowers on them. Are you happy with the car? Has it had any issues? Pro's/Con's?

I was kind of thinking I'd have to have the supercharger rebuilt after some amount of time. That might not be too bad - if that's all I have to worry about. I'll go check out mercedesshop.com -thanks for that link. Are there any other 'lists' for Mercedes that I can check on? That's the main thing I'm sondering about - reliability with the supercharged motor. If I had done it in the first place, I probably would have gone for the C320 - the V6 powerplant.

Todd - not to be outdone by his son, my father in law just bought (for grandma ..... yeah right) a SLK350. Grandma says she can't park it anywhere without someone asking/talking to her about it. I'm dying to ge behind the wheel of that thing (it WILL happen sooner or later).
Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

My wifes car is a 1998. 150 hp four cylinder. It moves out fine. It was an off lease car. I believe its high compression motor (needs super gas), so the torque is good enough for her. The motor doesn't have a spot of oil on it. When I bought it I had seen in mercedesshop.com that the air mass meters tend to go around 70k. Sure enough it happened to my wifes car. The consensus seems to be change the air filter every year and don't use an oil impregnated one, like K & N. Cheapest price was $295 online for one. takes 3 minutes to install. dealer will ding you for $800. Car has 89k miles on it. There was also something about a modulator valve in the transmission that may go and require replacement. I just got a check engine light that indicates something with exhaust gas recirculation. It may be the valve or a clogged pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold plumbed to the intake to burn unburnt gasses. Again you can find it in merecedsshop.com. The tranny is a sealed unit, meaning no dipstick. Its supposed to be lifetime tranny fluid. As on this forum there are opinions regarding changing it or not on the other forum. I have not changed it yet. Car has been very good so far. Stil looks good in Black. Nice paint. Battery is in the trunk. It exploded 2 years ago. Not necessarily a mercedes only occurance. power seats have started to not work all the time. Rerlay in the trunk apparently has a solder connection break over time. I will have to check it out.

Quick Reply: OT - MB C230 kompressor: reliable daily driver?