Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.0L Article In 911 & Porsche World

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:46 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

looks like an interesting article....I look forward to reading it when my copy of 911&porsche world arrives.

This whole issue of "bhp v hp" is somewhat confusing? I personally like to talk in terms of bhp, it's how are cars were rated by porsche when they left the factory...i.e... 220 or 250 BHP as standard. So, if this guys car is now putting out 400 bhp its a marked increase in bhp over stock....no matter what way you look at it.

My own car was featured in 911@porsche world back in july 04 issue no.124. It's a 2.8 stroker and it puts out 421.9 BHP.... thats exactly 171.9 bhp over stock.

Now, people can debate and argue all they want over bhp v hp, but all I know is my car gets to 60 in just over 4 secs and will top out at 180 mph plus..... that'll do me!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:16 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so excited when I saw that in the store, and dissapointed after I read it. There are so many exciting and properly done 951s out there to write about. Plus you would think that they would feature some articles about mildly tuned 951s, as to show readers their performance potential. Instead it's always some big, overbored 2.8-3.0 liter that doesn't eclipse a properly tuned 2.5.

What pisses me off is how the mags almost never have any decent articles about our cars. I just read that issue. Tons of stuff about every other Porsche and one lousy article on a 951. I just think it's stupid how a modded 951 (even stock) can demolish most 911s in acceleration, braking, and handling and yet we don't get any respect!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:28 AM
LindseyR
AutoX

Marcus did not chase after this magazine article, he was at a track event when he was approached by the them. In talking with him, he is not so concerned in competing with dyno charts, he is a very good driver and has a very competitive car on the track. I think his notoriety as an American soccer player who plays on a European soccer team has a LOT to do with the article being written, you don’t see that very often over there. I am proud to see an American doing that well in that type of sport there in England, they refer to him there as the Bald Yank.

He was in the middle of doing a solid lifter upgrade as well as a couple others at the time the article was being written. He has every plan on visiting the dyno here soon. Once he has some solid HP numbers I will be posting them on our web sight.

Mike Lindsey
Old 11-21-2005, 08:38 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LindseyR: I'm sure his numbers will be better, even though he isn't after big numbers per ce. And as you said, it doesn't hurt being a famous soccer player too, right?. If we can scan the article as I said, people can read it and find it to be entertaining, that's all. But I wonder. If he wasn't after big numbers or an impressive dyno sheet, I'm curious as to why he would even bother building a 3.0L? I mean, you can have a very fast 2.5L, as many people on here do - if it's properly tuned and has the right EMS stuff on it. I guess maybe he just wanted to dump his 2.5L and do a 3.0L project car for fun? If that's the case, then great for him. And he is a great car driver too? What's his racing credentials too, I'd be curious to know that's all.

Silverbullet: The mag is really a 911 mag, not a 951. And you know our cars as always going to be second in line regarding PR, sad but true. Even though there are quite a bit of midly, let alone very modded 2.5Ls that could beat alot of 911s.

Let's wait and read the article as I said, it's interesting to say the least. Something read now that it's getting cold out, right?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:47 AM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Silverbullet: The mag is really a 911 mag, not a 951. And you know our cars as always going to be second in line regarding PR, sad but true. Even though there are quite a bit of midly, let alone very modded 2.5Ls that could beat alot of 911s.

Let's wait and read the article as I said, it's interesting to say the least. Something read now that it's getting cold out, right?

yes, our cars will always way down the food chain compared to 911's, but 911&porsche world feature more 944 and other model porsches in their pages than any other porsche mag out there... not to mention it's the by far the best put together and informative porsche mag on the planet
Old 11-21-2005, 11:03 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some people build 3L turbos looking for reliable, low end torque, not HP.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:22 PM
juanchovidal
Instructor

Rolex, you look like a very intelligent guy, as you know I'am from P.R. and my inglish is not that good.
please explain me what "smart ***" mean.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:34 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by juanchovidal
Rolex, you look like a very intelligent guy, as you know I'am from P.R. and my inglish is not that good.
please explain me what "smart ***" mean.
Smart ***? Where did I ever say that, let alone to you? I never said that. Two, when I was talking about PR, PR = Public Relations. That is a business term used in advertising and/or marketing in the US. Does that help to clarify things for you at all?

Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
juanchovidal
Instructor

I'am not talking about the PR stuff. I just wan ton know what your definition of smart ***.
that all.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:43 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by juanchovidal
I'am not talking about the PR stuff. I just wan ton know what your definition of smart ***.
that all.
I would appreciate it if you would please keep the thread on track. If there is something that you'd like to say to me, kindly PM me. But there's no need for the sarcasm.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Please remember that the 911/PW article is copyright by the publisher so can't be scanned and posted here - it violates copyright laws.

If anyone wants to read it they will have to go buy a copy. No, I don't work for the magazine!

Marc
p.s. and juanchovidal, please stay on topic or take it elsewhere.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Please remember that the 911/PW article is copyright by the publisher so can't be scanned and posted here - it violates copyright laws.

If anyone wants to read it they will have to go buy a copy. No, I don't work for the magazine!

Marc
p.s. and juanchovidal, please stay on topic or take it elsewhere.
Marc: Thanks for the education on the copyright thing, I didnt realize that. Sorry!

And thanks for the topic bump.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:11 PM
juanchovidal
Instructor

bump
Old 11-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
What's his racing credentials too, I'd be curious to know that's all.
so what is the point of this thread again? most of the soccer loving planet knows Marcus Hahnemann as an excellent goalkeeper...but many Porsche fans would be pleased to know he enjoys working on and driving his 3.0 turbo as well
Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom Carson
so what is the point of this thread again? most of the soccer loving planet knows Marcus Hahnemann as an excellent goalkeeper...but many Porsche fans would be pleased to know he enjoys working on and driving his 3.0 turbo as well
It was to share info on his 3.0L and what he built, it's that simple.

Thanks for asking.

Quick Reply: 3.0L Article In 911 & Porsche World