Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help removing timing belt drive gear from crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:01 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help removing timing belt drive gear from crankshaft

I don't have anything good to use as a prybar, so I'd like to use a gear puller. What kind of gear puller? Are there threaded holes to use, or should I use claws from the outside, or ??? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:23 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing fancy needed. Just thread the bolt back into the crank, dont stick the tip of the puller in there. Or use something similar to cover up that hole. Just measure the gear to make sure you get a puller that can reach that far. Three arm or two arm pullers will both work fine as long as theyre big enough.

Personally, get a two arm one, with small tips, and reversable (tips point inwards or outwards). If you ever do your own front wheel bearing races, it makes the job A LOT easier. I used the puller to pull the races out, no punch work or anything needed. Shame I didnt get the idea until the last race, but oh well!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:42 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Brian. I think I even have a 2/3 arm puller, so I'll be trying it tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:04 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

puller....ohhh that would've been awesome when i had to take my gear off....i resorted to letting it soak in lubricant, then i pulled on it with my hands and it started budging only to fly off and send me onto my back on the ground....good luck
Old 11-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2 arm puller for mine. Worked on it for about 2hrs with every other tool I had, and got NOWHERE. Took 5 minutes with the puller. As previously mentioned, use the crank bolt to push off of & just hook the arms to the lip on the gear.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a puller and it sucks. Problem is getting enough clearance between the pulley and the radiator. I've always used a prybar of some sort - works fine. When you put the gear back on, put a little anti-sieze or other lube on the shaft where the gear sits so next time it isn't quite such a pain to pull off.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I bought a puller and it sucks. Problem is getting enough clearance between the pulley and the radiator. I've always used a prybar of some sort - works fine. When you put the gear back on, put a little anti-sieze or other lube on the shaft where the gear sits so next time it isn't quite such a pain to pull off.
Forgot...some stuff is a whole lot easier when it's sitting on a stand
Old 11-20-2005, 01:12 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used a puller on them before, you just have to choose one appropriately sized. Also used on on some very stuck balance shaft gears.
Absolutely the best solution, hands down. Takes about 2-3 minutes if you have done it before, and takes SO much less effort. Prior to using a puller, I've taken 2 off with screwdrivers and prybars. Definately not the way to go. Use a 3 arm puller, and put a socket over the inside, or use the bolt. I place a socket over it, since the 3/8" square recess helps nicely center the center of the puller.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Squirt a bit of penetrant on the crank, use 2 straight slot screw drivers and pry evenly on both sides. Just did one tonight with this method and came off no problem.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:11 PM
Porsche-noob-91
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What size pullers did you use? I'm trying to find one that works.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:28 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I see you responded to a 17 year old post, but to help, the Autozone 2-3 arm puller that is in their loaner program works perfectly. Convert it to two arms, remove fans and this will work perfectly. Autozone part 57078. Oh wait- you are Belgium...
Old 01-13-2023, 04:42 PM
Porsche-noob-91
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ElRicardo
I see you responded to a 17 year old post, but to help, the Autozone 2-3 arm puller that is in their loaner program works perfectly. Convert it to two arms, remove fans and this will work perfectly. Autozone part 57078. Oh wait- you are Belgium...
While I am indeed in Belgium, your tip does help because Autozone posted measurements of the tool online. Thank you! I'm however looking for a puller Ican use without further deconstruction of the car --- if possible of course!
Old 01-01-2024, 12:22 AM
graftex
7th Gear

Default removing crankshaft timing belt gear

I was unable to free my gear with the two screwdriver approach even after using PB blaster and WD-40. My pullers would not fit. I ended up using a "slap hammer" dent puller with an "L" attachment that tucked behind the gear perfectly. I tapped on one side, and then the other and the gear freed up without issue and no damage.

Quick Reply: help removing timing belt drive gear from crankshaft