Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing diverter valve with BOV

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 06:22 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Replacing diverter valve with BOV

Im replacing the factory diverter valve with a BOV. What should I do with the line that connects to the diverter valve. Plug it? Thanks.

-Jeff
Old 11-13-2005, 08:23 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naah, don't do that, man. Use a Forge racing Bypass valve. It makes a pretty cool sound and it doesn't shed the air that has already been weighed by your AFM/MAF and give you a rich condition which will REDUCE performance.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:00 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
Naah, don't do that, man. Use a Forge racing Bypass valve. It makes a pretty cool sound and it doesn't shed the air that has already been weighed by your AFM/MAF and give you a rich condition which will REDUCE performance.
He speaks the thruth. Unless you goto a MAP system.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:08 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
So ive heard. Heres the deal... Ive read about the rich condition caused by converting to a BOV.. and from what ive read, it only happens between shifts, and isnt harmful. I also understand that I will be reducing performance by reducing the efficency by venting cooled air to the atmosphere. BUT... I still would like to try a BOV for the hell of it. And I would like to know what to do with the line. Im sure I will end up going back to a diverter valve, but out of sheer bordom, I would like to try it. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:04 AM
special tool
Banned

Hooooo - back it out there, partner.
Your BOV opens every time you close the throttle enough to cause a vacuum. Like 80% of your car's life at part throttle on the highway/2 lane

Also - it will be helpful to remember that most of the magazine articles you read about turbo cars were written by ****ing idiots.

Like this one,...... " I crested the hill, and I could hear the wastegates venting their load as I slammed it into third"

Yeah, right stupid.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have my HKS ssqv vented to the atmosphere and haven't notice any change in performance when i drive it.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:42 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer your question, just plug the hole on the J-boot. I have seen some eclipse's with a nice quality aluminum plug made for just the purpose of plugging the hole on them but their bypass valve's are about half an inch bigger then the 944's. There might be someone though that makes a smaller plug but I would just go look around at a hardware store.

On a side note I had an HKS SSQV on my previous 951 for a short time, and I did notice a difference. Spool up after shifts seemed to be much slower and almost a dragging affect on the engine. And sometimes when I would shift the car felt like it lost all power.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:06 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
To answer your question, just plug the hole on the J-boot. I have seen some eclipse's with a nice quality aluminum plug made for just the purpose of plugging the hole on them but their bypass valve's are about half an inch bigger then the 944's. There might be someone though that makes a smaller plug but I would just go look around at a hardware store.

On a side note I had an HKS SSQV on my previous 951 for a short time, and I did notice a difference. Spool up after shifts seemed to be much slower and almost a dragging affect on the engine. And sometimes when I would shift the car felt like it lost all power.
Thanks for answering my question.

Quick Reply: Replacing diverter valve with BOV