Smoke and oily spark plug on 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005 | 07:24 AM
ross255
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Smoke and oily spark plug on 4

Hi,

I have a small problem with my car, firstly it smokes at idle and on the over-run, this has gradually been getting worse. plugs 1,2 and 3 are fine, 4 is black and oily. Am i correct in thinking this could be valve stemm seal. I havent been able to do a compression check yet.

Also in looking for the above i took all the intake pipes off. There is very little oil in them, i looked in both ends of the coldside of the turbo, and bone dry no oil.

However when you the shaft there is a small amount of movement, both in and out, and left to right. if that makes sense. But it is at most 0.5 of a millimetre, sorry i dont know inches very well but a covertion calculator said it was 0.00164 of an inch. Its very small you can feel it, and just about see it.

Is this too much play or not ? I have always done stuff with cars, but this is my first turbo car, so I'm not really familiar with what good or bad turbos feel/look like.

Any help would be great

Last edited by ross255; 11-12-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2005 | 09:32 AM
ross255
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update to above

I have taken the intake off. when i looked down into the intake at the valves, 4 happened to be closed. But there was qhite a bit of water, but kind of greasy, like it was water vapor from the engine. So it would appear that some of the smoke is water vapor, but why so much?

Quick Reply: Smoke and oily spark plug on 4