Old 11-12-2005, 09:09 AM
aixgelo78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just kidding about the month thing, look at where I said "thankx chris
(jk 5 years)"

thankx for your concern.....relax its ok....I should be nervous but im not
chris

Last edited by aixgelo78; 11-12-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

No offense,but unless you have been together forAT LEAST a couple YEARS you have absolutely no idea what she's like... Give it time,to let the euphoria of the crush fade away and then see how well you mate up...

You would not take a ultra-critical decision about your family's life when being stoned/drunk/drugged to oblivion,right? Problem is,you are... in the beginning a relationship/crush doesn't make you go blind,but all of the above. Trust me,you could be in for the hangover of your life....

( this might be one time Jim and I actually agree... )

Edit: sorry...didn't notice the ( j/k 5 years)
Old 11-12-2005, 09:37 AM
aixgelo78
Instructor

no worries, id be flipping out too if someone told me that they are selling their car for a stripper named candy. that he met a month ago.

thankx for your concearn guys
chris

ps...she's a nurse and her name is not candy
Old 11-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Many years ago I bought my wife an engagement ring at a local pawn shop. I think I paid less than $600.00, and she loved it. The ring is merely a material sign of commitment, and we placed a much higher value on our feelings towards each other than the ring would possibly signify. So it wasn't the value of the ring that was important, it was the importance of what we felt and our intentions towards out relationship.
Fast forward 25 years thru bad and good times. Now she has dinner rings and jewelry that approximate the cost of a new Boxster, or more. But she still has her original engagement ring, and we are lovers and more importantly best friends. She would never have expected me to buy her a 10 thousand dollar ring, and if I presented her with one at the cost of my most valuable materal possesion, she would have doubted my maturity and judgment.

Do what you are hell bent on doing. IMHO a $2500 dollar ring is more than enough, especially if you buy it together. I said TOGETHER.

Good luck, you're going to need it.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:59 AM
RPG951S
Racer

Spending $10K on a diamond is a mistake. Spend a $1k and put the rest into a downpayment for a nice house for her.

That said, for the love of god don't support the mother f@!king diamond cartels and the absurd, blood soak industry they wallow in.

Buy a Gemesis diamond
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you start with a $10k engagement ring what hoops are you going to have to jump through for the wedding ring....and wedding.....and honeymoon....and....

If you have to sell a car to get an engagement ring it sounds like you need a big shake up in the practicality dept. Using a 951 as a "savings" vehicle, ouch.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:32 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toy car finance 101:

Lesson 1 determining the vaue of your toy car.
method 1
-When selling your toy car take the total money invested into it to this point and divide by 2.

method 2
-approxinate the value you would expect the insurance company to pay for it if it were a total loss.

Summary from lesson 1:
-toy cars are not good investments.

A $10K ring financed through a toy car is like buying a $15K + ring. Finance through the jeweler and it becomes a much better financial decision.
Also even my girlfriend says dont sell your car to buy a ring, finance it or save up for it.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:35 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife would never have let me sell the P-car (She knew how much they mean to me) in order to buy her a ring. She would have settled for a less expensive ring and for me to keep my sanity.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

WOW, I JUST bought an engagement ring for my g/f (been together for 5 years in Jan. when I plan to ask her) and even she knows selling a car for a ring is a little extreme. TO DAN P. : if a 10k ring means a woman can suck a grapefruit though a hose, then my woman needs a 40k ring!! Well, I did spend over 10% of my yearly income on the ring but considering I am in Paramedic school and not working that much, 10% isn't THAT high!! Of course, I also know the guy who sold me the ring and got more the 50% off retail for the ring, so that was nice!!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:50 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Allright Mike! I can't wait to meet her!

FWIW, and no offense to anyone in the market, but my experience is diamonds appraise for 200% of thier true value. For example, go in to any jewelry store. Tell them you've got $2500 to spend. They will show you a variety of stones with pricetags near $5000, and tell you you can afford them. You can buy one for $2500, and get a appraisal form that states $5000 for your insurance company. Your experiences may be vastly different than mine, but that is what I encountered 10+ years ago the one and only time in my life I shopped for diamonds. 'Accidentally' show the recipient the appraisal form and you can get 2x the credit for your "outlay".

Am I the only one with this experience?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

HA HA, thought you would like that Dan, but yea that is about right with prices though. When are we hooking up again for a NE Ohio GTG??..
Old 11-12-2005, 10:17 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going shopping tommorow for an engagement ring- my gf luckily picked out a 1/2 carrot ring online for $800 that she liked- she said she'd rather have a home than a giant rock, which I am thankful for. I would rethink spending more than $2K- upgrading the ring later makes for a great anniversary gift as the years go!
Randy
Old 11-12-2005, 10:39 PM
aixgelo78
Instructor

thakx for all the input guys...this is a shot in the dark type of deal. yes, I have to give up my toys for now, but that is my decision. I can always build up a car all over again, when the time comes. I am planning on doing this once and only once, so I would like to do it right the first time. I am not here to argue wether or not it is logical or not. I do not want to finance a ring because, I would not like to "owe" any money. I dont owe anything on either of my cars...
If there is a jeweler out there that so happens to be looking for a "track/street" 951 then I have one available.
I am also well aware of my car's value and how much it is worth for the "right" buyer. I am not in need to get this sold yesterday, so waiting for the right buyer is not a problem. I am also well aware the the best time to sell the car is in spring time.

thankx guys
chris
Old 11-12-2005, 11:01 PM
pflyers
Instructor

Dont do it!!

You can do much better and save yourself some cash.

I didn't have a lot of money when I got married. I bought my wife a tiffany ring on ebay from a local guy who's engagement went bad.

I took the ring to tiffanys and had the diamond placed in a new setting so the ring was essentially new, placed in a new blue box. My wife LOVES that ring and was really proud of me for saving so much $ on it. $8k ring for less than half that just by refusing to pay retail ripoff.

Don't just listen to some jeweler the markup on jewelry is astronomical.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:59 PM
aben8057
Drifting

I know Chris personally and I can say he is a great guy. What ever you do just remember its not about the ring its about a unity between two individuals sharing their love for one another.

My wife and I had a similiar situation in regards to our wedding. We opted for a destination wedding (Hawaii) and in the process saved our money which was applied to our current home. With that said, we have no regrets. Although I am not opposed to lavish weddings and expensive jewerly my wife and I enjoy each others company in our home.

Chris...whatever you decide...God bless you both in all of your future endevours.

Quick Reply: so....who is up for a trade?