Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Paint/Wax question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 03:41 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob 3, ( or anyone else) just wondering if you tried the P21S Pure Paste Wax? I was thinking about going with their Paintwork Cleanser & Pure Paste Wax as it seems a lot of people are liking the wax. I like your idea of starting with 3M Hand Glaze as I thought my car needed a little more prep than just the Paintwork Cleanser. Also what are you using to apply the Hand Glaze, applicator sponge, cotton towel, microfiber??

Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 07:27 AM
wwinton
Instructor

Find yourself a good 2 part paint treatment, a paint pre-cleaner to remove any crap that is there, and then a good Carnauba wax.
We have one here in Oz called Bowdens own, I did my 951 with it for a concours a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe the difference. Neither could anyone at the show.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

951Boost, to apply the Hand Glaze I use a sponge that has been covered by terrycloth, and I use a microfiber towel to remove. (Cotton flannel to remove the wax.) I haven't tried the P21S wax as I decided on the Zymol after reading several posts on the Concours section. I called the owner of the carcareonline.com shop in Jersey and he naturally suggested a wax he sells called One Grand. His comment was the One Grand lasted longer, but he did think the Zymol (original, not the Zyrtle Wax) was a touch deeper, but clearly does not last as long. As I stated earlier, mine is a dark metallic gray that was dull when I bought it, but basically decent. I took a lot of time doing two coats of everything, and it came back pretty well. I currently rside in SoCal and mine is a weekend toy that lives in a garage, so not much exposure to the elements.
The www.carcareonline.com has a lot of info on the sight, and he carries a LARGE array of car care specialties.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:02 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Thanks again guys, lots of info to digest here. Seems like for sure the important thing is to use a multi step process that leads to the final wax coat. Clean the paint, polish and then wax. I'm certain that all the high end brands would do a good job, just a matter that some might look better on specific colors. It also seems like the darker the color the more important it is to find the right product for it.

I remember now obsessing over the finish of my black T/A (years & years ago, before I became "enlightened" ). When you get a black car perfect is like WOW!!! But man what a pita it used to be. The white T/A I had before the black one was so much easier to keep looking nice. I think subconsciously thats why I wanted a white 951.

Also one more question- Is it a a safe assumption to think that paste carnauba wax will outlast a liquid carnauba? (Comparing apples to apples here, same manufacturer/price range etc.)
Old 11-12-2005, 04:02 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Originally Posted by 951Boost
Thanks again guys, lots of info to digest here. Seems like for sure the important thing is to use a multi step process that leads to the final wax coat. Clean the paint, polish and then wax. I'm certain that all the high end brands would do a good job, just a matter that some might look better on specific colors. It also seems like the darker the color the more important it is to find the right product for it.

I remember now obsessing over the finish of my black T/A (years & years ago, before I became "enlightened" ). When you get a black car perfect is like WOW!!! But man what a pita it used to be. The white T/A I had before the black one was so much easier to keep looking nice. I think subconsciously thats why I wanted a white 951.

Also one more question- Is it a a safe assumption to think that paste carnauba wax will outlast a liquid carnauba? (Comparing apples to apples here, same manufacturer/price range etc.)
One would think that a product that went on easy would come off easy but I have not found that to be true in all cases.
I personally use Malm's wax. The paint must be near perfect before application but the "wax" itself goes on super easy!

A pure wax is a hard and brittle substance it must be "cut" with
a filler, softer wax, silicone, oil, etc, etc or you could not spread it on your car. I personally don't swear by any one brand of "wax". YMMV

Quick Reply: 951 Paint/Wax question