Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 09:17 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch problems :(

I did a search and I seem to have a problem very similar to this guy:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=clutch

Although mine seems more like some sort of hydraulic issue. What happens is that the 'friction point' where the clutch starts to disengage gets very close to the floor, leaving a very small disengaging travel and a very big 'free play' travel. Also the pedal has zero resistance in the free play area and doesn't return all the way back up when I take my foot off the pedal, and won't come up unless I pull it back up with my foot.

So drive is fully engaged but the pedal is very close to the floor, making for very difficult driving :-/ The problem seems to be a lot worse when the engine/transmission is cold, and seems to be getting worse over the last few days. Tonight when driving home I couldn't get it into first without turning off the engine because the pedal travel was so small. Once the car had warmed up a bit though, I could change gears but the pedal was still not behaving properly. A few days ago the problem would disappear and the pedal would be normal once the car was warm...

So what can I check/do? I'm not looking at an expensive clutch job am I?
I was told by the previous owner's mechanics that he had the clutch replaced only 2 or 3 years ago (roughly 20-30,000 km)

Regards,

Rob.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a classic Master/Slave cylinder failure. Check the carpet above the clutch peddle for brake fluid. This would indicate the piston seals are leaking.

Also check for signs of brake fluid in the bell housing. Look through the inspection port on the driver side of the bell housing.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i second Cliff's idea. definitely sounds like a hydraulic problem.

Quick Reply: Clutch problems :(