Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

pca/nasa suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:49 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pca/nasa suspensions

i am in the process of building my DE car into a NASA supercup car and F or E class PCA car. My 951 is an 86, can I legally run coil-overs at all fours with the torsion bars installed and relaxed and still be legal. I was under the understanding that you can update/backdate certain items, and since there was an option for rear coil over towing package...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really ought to post this on the racing board. Most of us don't race and don't have the rule book. A lot of those guys do.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

mjensen,

As you know you can do either ITS SCCA or PCA for 44cup.

The New Rules for 2006 have been posted on the PCA website.
For classes A through K here is what they say about suspension:
A. Suspension pick-up points must remain as stock in location and type.
B. Shock absorbers are free providing they are of the same type, using the same pick-up points, as
supplied by the factory.
C. Any suspension setting not requiring machining or modification of factory parts is allowed.
D. Spring type must remain as supplied by the factory.
E. Spring rates are free.
F. Sway bar sizes and configuration are free except driver-adjustable sway bars are not permitted
in the cockpit.
G. Suspension bushing materials are free. Replacement of suspension bushings cannot alter the
suspension geometry of the vehicle.
H. “Hydropneumatic” suspension may be replaced by torsion bar/shock absorber suspension.
I. Camber compensating devices for 356’s are free and strongly recommended.
J. Any bolt-in shock tower brace is allowed.
K. Adjustable spring plates are allowed.
L. 944/968 aluminum front control arms (A-arms) may be replaced with an approved replacement
unit or appropriately modified early factory steel part.

If you take B and D and put them together it seems like that would be your rear-coilover hook. Also, I would say post it on the racing board for a more complete answer.

I am basically in the same boat. We should share some info. I am going to be setting my car up for 44cup too. That is my plan at least.....
Old 11-05-2005, 07:24 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the Chesapeake/Potomac region, I'm hearing a lot of buzz about 944 Super Cup cars being sourced and built. Guys are not looking for killer PCA $35K track record cars, but rather looking to build cars from fairly stock daily drivers maybe with some of the right stuff already in place. Very interesting. Musche and I have been both been approached by Super Cup aspirants hunting for the price at which we would be willing to let our 951S cars go. All cars are for sale at some price, but most likely ours will not go to this cause based on what they're worth to us
Old 11-05-2005, 09:48 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run springs in the rear and stay e/f class legal. Depending on track you will be running well above stock levels but that also is class legal.

I would find a couple guys running same car and same tracks as you run before buying the springs though. Up north most of the fast guys are running 500 plus up front and 400 on the rears. Most guys will tell you their exact numbers I'm sure some others well... they like to keep it a secret, the exact numbers that is.

I'll have a set of stock M030 springs for sale cheap in the very near future when I get these changed out. 250 is way soft just about anywhere for dedicated track car.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:07 AM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I have talked to a recignized builder and a few of my pca region racers, they are all in that 500 to 600 range fronts and also 400 rears. I will be running in the midwest and have ran the car at the milwaukee mile and blackhawk farms. I will be running at road america, gingerman, etc. I am in the middle of the rear suspension tear town, all components out and I just recieved the call form the powdercoater that the stock parts are ready to be picked up(arms, torsion tube, etc all in an aluminum color)...
Old 11-07-2005, 07:57 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I know rear coilovers are legal for stock PCA racing (run them myself). T-bars must remain in place, but there are options with regard to these (e.g. machining diameter down to minimal spring rate, grinding off the splines so they turn freely). Remote reservoir shocks are also legal in stock class.

I am not familiar with SCCA rules but my understanding is they are more stringent on suspension mods than PCA.

Quick Reply: pca/nasa suspensions