Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Jerking @ 25-35MPH & lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 PM
9xxTurbo.com
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jerking @ 25-35MPH & lifter noise

Im having trouble w/ my 951 and cant figure it out. My car jerkes @ 25-35MPH when im driving normal. Doesnt do it when under acceleration or on highway just when your driving normal around town. It doesnt do it so much when I drive only when others drive slow like granny. Its kinda like the engine is cutting out. It feels as if your accelerating then hit the brakes back in forth rappidly.

Also I am hearing clicking noise from the lifters I presuming. Seems everything is crapping out on me at once. I just had to replace the alternator cause it killed over. did a tune up just to make sure but that didint help any. Any suggestions would help. ThX
Old 11-04-2005, 10:27 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Disconnect O2 sensor and notice any difference.
Do you have an AFR gauge?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Does the lifter noise happen only when the car jerks? If so, are you sure the clicking is not the injectors acting up? If not, I'd probably test the AFM first -- see if it has a nice smooth increase in resistance...
Old 11-05-2005, 02:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerking @ 25-35MPH & lifter noise

Dude! That will make you go blind...at any speed.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:43 AM
9xxTurbo.com
Track Day

No the clicking noise doesnt happen when its jerking. in fact you really only hear it while your idling and coasting. its not injector noise cause I know what that sounds like but you can actually hear it from the valve covers. It comes from the rear part of the valve cover. I talked to another guy and he says I may just need to adjust them. The jerking is off and on, sometimes it doesnt do it and sometimes it does. I figured it was either something with spark or fuel so I did a tune up and had my fuel pump tested and thats all good. I have it at a shop here that will put it on the diagnostic machine for $25 so ts there but there so back logged it may take awhile to get to it.

I think it may just be a bad O2 or timing is off. We will see. The lister noise is a different matter though. I was gone for 3 months and left the car with my mother who drove it and when I got back I saw that I had a valve cover leak and the oil was a little low but nothing that should cause damage. So i replaced the gasket and changed the oil.

Im just hoping its nothing to big of a problem and just a wear and tear item. The clicking thing has me worried cause i really dont want to have to get new lifters cause I have no idea how to do it andI dont want to screw it up more than it already is.

Off topic but I saw some intake manifold spacers for Ford 5.0L and was wondering if there is anything like that for our cars and would it really make a difference. Seems it really wouldnt be all that hard to have made.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

FYI, There is no way to "adjust" your lifters, nor anyway for your igition timing for fall out of tune.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:56 AM
9xxTurbo.com
Track Day

Well I was told there was something on there that can be adjusted or tighten or soem crap. he sugestion was from a mechanic but he is no PORSCHE mechanic. I am just trying to get some ideas on what it can be.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:03 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 951 with braided metal fuel lines, ESPECIALLY one with upgraded fuel pump, will reverberate cyclic tapping noises through the head even with the stock damper in place.
You can put your stethescope close to the cam tower mounting bolt for the fuel rail to varify.

Quick Reply: Jerking @ 25-35MPH & lifter noise