Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

idle and deceleration issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005 | 01:39 PM
ian kam
Racer

Default idle and deceleration issues

Ok the car is running better every day. The web cam I have in the car is hard to tune at idle. Right now I run a little rich at idle 13-13.8 AFR. Any leaner idle is uneven. Any one else have experiences with this setup(web cam) Second thing is I find alot of us since going to MAF from stock setup have deceleration issues. Often once off higher rpms with the clutch in deceleration occurs very quickly causing RPMs to dip very low(close to stalling) Now some newer cars ie Nissan have deceleration valves to slow down the return of the throttle plate. Any ideas as to set up somthing that would our cars??? Any venders out there looked at htis issue ??
Old 10-31-2005 | 03:28 PM
ian kam
Racer

well after looking I'm going to try to fit a universal dashpot to the throttle linkage. With the MAF and lightened flywheel slowing down the plate will help the engine from stalling under deceleration. The ISV just wont compensate fast enough anymore. I think the old flapper door in AFM helped deceleration issues in stock setup. Any input on this ?? If not will let ya know if this helps.
Old 10-31-2005 | 03:34 PM
turbinek
Instructor

What make is you MAF? I guess there are no issues with vitesse maf's at all.
Old 10-31-2005 | 03:44 PM
ian kam
Racer

I do have a stage 3 MAf from vitesse...but I think with the other mods I have web cam light flywheel and lindsey intake.... engine stalls when the air flow is cutoff too fast. So I dont think its the maf on its own but with other factors thrown in problems occur. Doesnt always occur but more than i like. Alot of systems on newer cars have mechanism to slow down the plate to prevent rapid decrease in air flow to engine. So we will see if this can help. I'm sure i have read others have simular issues...????
Old 10-31-2005 | 03:54 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ian, The Webcam likes to run richer.. I have it on my race car, and iit idles rich... Others have used WebCam without a problem, but this have been my experience.
The Idle dropping is very easy to cure. Do a log with the SMT6, trace the cells that the cursor goes through before going to idle, richen the cells a bit. Another method is to increase the value of the Min Fuel in the SMT6. Very simple solution... You should not have the dropping idle..
The above procedure is more important if you no longer use the Idle Control Valve..
Old 10-31-2005 | 04:07 PM
ian kam
Racer

John should the cells be richer ??? I think the sudden drop in air flow is the real issue. John the factory boost gauge at idle where should it be ??? Mine reads just above the .4 Seems to run better when closer to this mark at idle. Depent on TPS position it seems. Ya idle AFR is in the 13's is this close to your race car ?? Like I said alot of cars have valves to slow down the throttle plate so might simplify things with mine also. I will try going through the cells and see what happens. Global settings I have set for the idle so cant change it anymore.
Old 10-31-2005 | 04:31 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes richen the cells.. If you send me a log file, I can assist in the mods.
Old 10-31-2005 | 04:42 PM
ian kam
Racer

ok i will do so in a few days

Quick Reply: idle and deceleration issues