Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Camber/caster plates. Needed or luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber/caster plates. Needed or luxury?

As a topic

For a street car that will see no more than say two DE's a year, are camber plates something important to add with coil overs, or are they a nice additional luxury? Why? TIA
Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice luxury. You will get a little deflection with the rubber strut mount, but that is livable for only 2 DEs a year.

Camber plates let you set more camber than you can w/ the factory eccentric, but you wouldn't be running that much more camber than the factory alignment for only a couple of DEs (certainly not more than you can get with the factory eccentric, which is ~ -2.5 degrees).

Some people will say they allow you to switch between street and track alignments quickly, but when you adjust your camber significantly, you also affect toe, so it is really a compromise at best. Save your money and do a couple of extra DEs. You'll get faster that way...
Old 10-27-2005, 08:36 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

If you are still using the original rubber mounts, consider replacing them with the KLA monoballs. You would be fine with the stock units for your purposes (no need to adjust alignment for just a couple of events per year on street tires), but if yours are original, they are likely shot. If not already, they will be after some aggressive track use.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yep. mine are shot, as well as the struts. The struts are of the non-rebuidable type as well. I was about to ask about the KLA monoballs in my other thread. Do they require any adapters to fit bilsteins, koni's or ledas?<<<(especially these hint)
I can't see much adjustment after install. It takes a hell of a lot of seat time to out drive your decent suspension.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed KLA monoball upper mounts a few months ago along with yellow konis. The mounts come with 4 nuts and bolts, with stock springs, installing the two rear bolts is a royal PITA!! But once installed, they look awesome.

Also for safety, I would recommend installing "jam" nuts on the struts, unless, you are sure you can torque these center nuts to specs. They spin easily.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:22 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I've installed the KLA monoballs as well (mated w/ Motons). Pretty easy to install. You're dropping the strut top out of the fender anyway so there should be no interference w/ installing the bolts, though the rear ones live slightly under the fender liner and may require a wrench.

In all, if the strut is off it's an easy upgrade.

Good call about double-nutting the top. Even if you get it torqued correctly I'd still double-nut so it doesn't loosen.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So do the KLA's act as the upper spring hats for the front struts? No need to order spring hats with the KLA's? I'm not clear on this. TIA
Old 10-27-2005, 10:23 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I too have the KLAs. I used them with a set of koni yellows, reusing the stock spring hats. They basically just slip over the top of the strut and are then tightened with a single nut. Four bolts attach then entire strut top to the fender, and they can be a bit unwieldy to insert and hold while you tighten the nuts from above. A "crow's foot" wrench and a second set of hands are very helpful for this.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:50 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So I do need spring hats in addition to the KLA strut mounts? Yes?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:02 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have the KLA fixed ones with ledas, I did fit a neoprene 'gasket' (from an old mouse mat) underneath to stop the road crud from getting too them. Before fitting I dismantled them and injected some grease into the monoball before fitting as they had a little bit of play in them.

And yes you still need spring hats.

Tony
Old 10-29-2005, 05:00 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Tony. It looks like someone is hooking me up with both for a very good price. All responses were much appreciated guys. Thank You.

Anyone want to know what a harsh suspension feels like> Come drive my 951. The right strut insert has totally leaked, and is basically bound. The right is no better. Anyone ever ride a 70's era skateboard over Belgian cobblestones while sitting? Maybe ridden the Paris Robaix? That's similar. lol
If not come drive my car.

Quick Reply: Camber/caster plates. Needed or luxury?