Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need Rear View Mirror for 1986 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005 | 09:22 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Question Need Rear View Mirror for 1986 944

My mirror came off in my hands yesterday while I was driving. the Hinge on the stem of the mirror that attaches to the window just split in half (metal fatigue..from too frequent twisting over the years for make-up applications at red lights )

It lasted 19 years but I need a replacement. I have an excellent body guy who does all my work for me who says it would be easy to take off the part that is still attached to the window and replace it with a new one. But he has no access to after-market parts for Porsches or used ones. He asked me to find one and then he will put it on for me.

Can anybody advise and/or direct me? It is really wierd driving around without the rearview mirror. I had no idea I relied on it so much as I weaved in and out of traffic. No weaving for me until the mirror is replaced.

I need it ASAP becuase I drive down to DC from Baltimore once a week and I will at the beginning of next week.

TIA

Justitia
Old 10-26-2005 | 09:28 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You can get one on ebay for a cheap pricce. Just make sure that it has a tight ball joint. You don't need anyone to take it off or put it on.
Get a razor blade and scrape it off the wind shiled. Go to a Pep Boys or similar shop and ask the for a quik epoxy kit for rear view mirrors. It's simply glued on there. You just apply the expoxy and glue it on there. It takes ten minutes.

BTW make sure you draw a line around the old one before you take it off the windshield. You can use lipstick if you want.
Old 10-26-2005 | 10:16 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

I switched to a 17" mirror for the track car.

You can have my mirror if you want it.

Brent
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:35 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Driving w/o a rear view is pretty dangerous -- definitely fix ASAP.

If you're not particular about keeping parts authentic, you can just go to a Pepboys or Autozone or whereever and pick up a generic replacement rear view mirror. I'm currently using a generic 10" rear view (go wider and it gets in the way of the sunvisor).
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:38 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I also have an extra one sitting in a box somewhere. Drop me a PM if you want it. As long as you cover the cost of shipping, its yours.

Quick Reply: Need Rear View Mirror for 1986 944