Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What exactly is VR wasted spark?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Turby
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly is VR wasted spark?

I hear you guys talking, actually, raving about it..... what is it and how does it work?....... Cost?.....
Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a GREAT idea. send an email here: www.vitesseracing.com and ask John.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Turby
Banned

Already killed him with Q's on his chips....... plus I wanted to hear from someone who has it, and is not "making a sale".
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Turby, my answer to any question is not geared "to making a sale"..
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Here's a GREAT idea. send an email here: www.vitesseracing.com and ask John.
inappropriate
Old 10-24-2005, 12:55 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

onl;y one guy has it. That is Special Tool. He's not going to lie to you. He may curse at you and call you names, but he certainly won't lie...and neither will the guy who posted above.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:56 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"inappropriate "

Not at all. Who would be better for the job?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 AM
special tool
Banned

It is really, really good.
I realy believe that my 951 is fatser below boost than my (very lightened) 924S.
The driveability improvement below 3000 and during peak cylinder pressure is unbelievable.
Also - this is a VERY complex affair. It is not something you can go to radio shack and do in 15 minutes by yourself.
I mean that it is evident that a LOT of work and planning has gone into this unit, and it shows in the outcome.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
It is really, really good.
I realy believe that my 951 is fatser below boost than my (very lightened) 924S.
The driveability improvement below 3000 and during peak cylinder pressure is unbelievable.
Also - this is a VERY complex affair. It is not something you can go to radio shack and do in 15 minutes by yourself.
I mean that it is evident that a LOT of work and planning has gone into this unit, and it shows in the outcome.
I think he was looking for specifics.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude, wasted spark just sounds cool….
The tec3 systems run wasted spark and I will attest to the ability of wasted spark to deliver better drivability.
If you want Motronic based management – John is your man, I don’t consider him as the Vitesse salesman – his results are doing that for him. He is always good for a straight answer.

Chris White
Old 10-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Turby
Banned

John, sorry that came out diffrent than it sounded in my head. I just wanted to hear from someone who has it. ST, thanks for the info........ I do want to stick with motronic, but was confused by all the MSD products out now....... and that looked like my only option if I didnt want standalone. Ehall, I wanted feedback, not a smart a$$ anwser........... after huntley, and having problems with even good standing vendors on the board (which I wont name) I am always alittle wary. (no offence John) -Morgan

oh, and I couldnt find it on his website......

Last edited by Turby; 10-24-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:05 PM
EdC
Pro

Isn't his question not what is the effect of a wsated spark system, but what in theory makes a wasted spark different from the stock ignition. Seems like a fair question to me. How does it work?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:35 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

At the risk of over simplifiation.......

Wasted spark systems eliminate the distributor by firing a pair of cylinders together - one on power stroke, the other on exhaust [hence 'wasted'].
Typically, both pairs of cylinders have a dedicated coil.
The advantages are eliminiation of the distributor and associated electromechnical problems, and a stronger spark from a coil that now has twice as long to establish its field before being fired.

This is a lttle like asking what is fuel injection - the devil and the development is in the details.

Hope this helps, and is appropriately vendor neutral
Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turby,

I'll tell you what Wasted Spark is, but I cannot discuss what the VR system does, as I have no idea what controls they offer.

Wasted Spark simply means you will fire 2 Cylinders at the same time. These will be the Cylinder under Compression and its pair which is on or about the overlap stroke. In the case of a 4 Cylinder engine, it becomes very easy. The firing is 180 degrees apart, so there is always 2 Pistons at TDC at the same time. One on compression and the other on Overlap. Both of these Spark Plugs are fired together from the same Dual Post coil.

The ignition circuit has 2 channels wihich drive either 2 CDI units or 2 Inductive Igniters. Each of these drive 2 Dual post coils. You could drive 4 CDI"Igniters with 4 coils, but that would be a waste of parts. In this case it would be better to run sequential. This system does not run the Distributor.

Wasted Spark is very common. There are some downsides. Often you get a popping from the ignition of fuel being ignited in the overlap cylinder. This is particulary evident with group fueled engine s like the 944. If you run Inductive Ignition, yopu MUST control the dwell of the Coil. If not, you either over charge them of under charge them. CDI requires no Dwell control. Different coils require different amounts of dwell and the type of dwell edge. I do not have any knowledge of this. This is out of my league. Other here can help with that.

As for what is better. That all depends upon the Coil used if Inductive systems are used. The Spark energy is a factor of the Coil. It may look cool, but nit necessarily make any difference. If there is enough time to charge the single Coil, the distributor system will wok as well. What you do eliminate is any change in Ignition point that is effected by the Timing belt. This is probably the area where any gain can be had. These engines don't rev that high, that the time to charge the Coil becomes to short.

As stated, a lot of aftermarket systems use this system. Some have the Coils and Igniters built into 1 pack. Some need seperate Igniters or CDI units.

Remember, it doesn't always mean you get a stronger more powerful spark. If the controlling ECU cannot dwell the coil correctly, or the Coil energy is the same as the Single coil, the spark energy will be the same.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
EdC
Pro

Thank you.

Quick Reply: What exactly is VR wasted spark?