Wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont go into gear

This morning I couldnt get my car to go into any gear. This happened once before so I just turned the car off put the gear in first and then started the car and drove off without any further problems. So this morning I did the same thing and was able to get the car into 2nd and 3rd without too much trouble but when I got to the light and tried to put the car back in first it wouldnt do it . So had to turn the car off...put it in gear...start the car and get going again....after this it was difficult to put the car in any gear.

Anybody have a fix or suggestion for this?

I just finished installing a 3" exhaust on the car but I'm not sure how that would affect the transmission.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

It might be a clutch problem vs. a transmission problem.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the hydraulics first to be sure the clutch fork is moving through it's full travel. If the clutch fork is moving, you probably have small springs from the disc clogging up the works, and need a new clutch.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise98
If the clutch fork is moving, you probably have small springs from the disc clogging up the works, and need a new clutch.
I second that. I had exactly that problem (broken springs) and I could only shift intermittently.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I dont really understand the mechanics of the clutch but why does it go into gear when off and not when its on? How can I check for these broken springs?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Tapage
8th Gear

I have some troubles in my trans when I buy the 951, I thought the issue is, when the engine is nunning, the syncro do it heavy work allowing easy changes on speeds ..

I thought also, you have some problems releasing your pressure plate, maybe a slave hydraulic issue, or in the bad case your disk.

Try to engage some gear in the moring with the engine cold and thicken clutch fluid.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

BUMP
Old 10-22-2005, 11:34 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

The pressure plate has a diaphram spring that clamps the disc between it and the flywheel. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel and turns at engine speed. The disc is connected to the drive shaft via splines on the center of the disc. In order for the transmission to change gears the torque from the engine must be interrupted during the gear change. When you depress the clutch, the pressure plate is moved away from the flywheel and allows the disc to rotate freely. THe stock clutch disc has two sets of springs in the center of the disc that absorb shock during gear changes. The small springs fatigue over time, fall out and get lodged between the disc and either the flywheel, pressure plate or both. The "Cup" disc does not have the small springs.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:11 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CLUTCH FORK....and I have mine pulled all apart right now to prove it. Mine did the same thing, and drive OK for a while.

What apparently happens is that the fork ends start to bend some, and eventually they WILL break, as mine did, and the car won't go anywhere...and you will have no pedal.

If you need any help/advice on tearing in there let me know...I'm still working on mine, but have learned lots and lots...might save you a search or two...lol
Old 10-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by littlejt1
CLUTCH FORK....and I have mine pulled all apart right now to prove it. Mine did the same thing, and drive OK for a while.

What apparently happens is that the fork ends start to bend some, and eventually they WILL break, as mine did, and the car won't go anywhere...and you will have no pedal.

If you need any help/advice on tearing in there let me know...I'm still working on mine, but have learned lots and lots...might save you a search or two...lol
OK....my first question is how do I check this fork to see if it is broken? Is there an easy quick way?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:50 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

There is an inspection hole on the bellhousing, drivers side. Shine a light up in the hole and you will see the ball end of the fork.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cruise98
There is an inspection hole on the bellhousing, drivers side. Shine a light up in the hole and you will see the ball end of the fork.
OK..Thanks.....and what is it supposed to look like and how will I know if its bad?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:13 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

You should see the slave cylinder moving the end of the fork approximately 30mm when you depress the pedal. If this is happening, you will have to remove the clutch to determine if it is the fork or the disc. You might be able to fit a bore scope into the bellhousing, but otherwise, you cannot see anything without taking it apart.

Quick Reply: Wont go into gear