Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing exhaust bolts, ARRGG!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:56 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing exhaust bolts, ARRGG!!!

Hey, I wanted to take my exhaust off today to make sure the inner pipe is not collapsed and to see if I could fab up a test pipe. The thing is, I can't seem to get the bolts off of the downpipe. I tried PB Blaster, but the rediculous angle that you have to work with makes it impossible not to round off the bolts. Do I need to cut them off with a Dremel? I had thought that the bolt was welded to the downpipe so you could only remove the nut, if so then I'm screwed!!!

I am soooo frustrated with exhaust pipe work it's not even funny. It's like every single bolt, nut, and pipe has rusted itself together, why couldn't they spend the extra dollar and put stainless in there!

I'm asking for any tips or tricks that you can think off to get it off. If the bolts aren't welded to the downpipe then I can cut them off. Please help me!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:08 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I just went through the same thing Sunday trying to get that one freaking nut (1 of 3 on the downpipe) the PO or his shop rounded off. This is the second time I've tried to install my test pipe. I even have the nut extractor things but by the time I put a 7/8" socket on the extractor it's too big and hits the pipe wall first. Every other nut and bolt has come off just fine. I don't relish the thought of dropping the turbo just to get this one GD nut off. I'm afraid if I go after it with a grinder or torch I'll booger up the stud. There's got to be a better way

So how hard is it to remove the pipe connected to the turbo (#7) and then drop the whole dowpipe with cat connected? Does the X-over pipe need to be removed also?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Guys
There are three studs in the down pipe.
If you cut off the nuts the studs will go with it
If you remove the cat pipe from the rear then attempt to take the down pipe off the turbo
I think you could get it off ?
You will have to disconnect the cat / WG merge as well......
But, I would wait until someone else ( who may have tried this chimes in )
There is going to be a serious amount of wiggling going on, to pull that all off at once
Having a lift would be a God send .....
Don't forget the bolt on the flange of the down pipe there is a M8 bolt holding the down pipe to the block ( in some cars its been removed ) That is supposed to be a bitch to remove as well
Best od luck
Regards
Ed
Old 10-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the 3 nuts, I used a deep socket, and a wobble extension, and I think on one of them, a universal joint. It let me get far enough onto the nuts, and gave me a nice angle to work with. It's all sort of a blur, but I think on one of them I actually had to use a wrench from the top?...
Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Quick Reply: Removing exhaust bolts, ARRGG!!!