Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do you modify a Porsche & keep it stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:04 AM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you modify a Porsche & keep it stock?

Background:
I have a '87 turbo that is completely stock. A large selling feature for me was the fact that it was. If I sell it one day I expect this to be an important feature for a buyer. Of course I feel the horsepower bug ...

Question:
How do I lightly modify it so I can catch-up with 20 years of development and still keep it "Vintage" Obviously any modification would have to be 100% reversible, Or be carried out using Porsche parts.

Solutions:
Vitesse AFM chip.
EBC
Porsche OE Dual Port wastegate
Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Porsche never made an OE dual port. a spring/poppet mechanism infront of the WG will cure alot of the issues that our poor OE WG diaphragms have.

I would just suggest what ever mods that Special Tool has though.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

virtually any modification short of rebuilding the engine to a larger displacement or porting the head will be reversible, all you have to do is keep the original parts

you can put in a mbc, exhaust, turbo, maf, chips, bov, wg, even a cam, and all of this could simply be swapped out with the stock part when/if the time comes for you to sell
Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

951north. Only thing you can really do to keep it or be able to switch it back to stock is installing a chip set and a MBC/EBC.You can get maybe about 235 rwhp with a chip and it would take little time to change it back.

Luke- Yeah cause Special Tool's car is so close to stock! ahahah
Old 10-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TurboX
Luke- Yeah cause Special Tool's car is so close to stock! ahahah

What? Rumor has it, he is just teasing about all of that cam shaft, header big turbo hopla. Really, all he is running is Danno's new chip!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

SHHHH your not suposed to talk about that!!! Special Tool is going to freakin "special tool" you!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TurboX
SHHHH your not suposed to talk about that!!! Special Tool is going to freakin "special tool" you!!!
hahha, I always did have the suspition that he swung that way....
Old 10-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly. I keep 100% of the parts necessary to convert my car back to stock if need be, nice and cleaned up and sitting in boxes. Should the need arise, they're there. If not, well. . . I've got either some emergency spare components or some quick cash liquidation sitting there.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

You might want to concentrate on getting Porsche racing parts like, cup chips, strut brace, M030 suspendion, sport shocks, on and on and on.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The word "stock" means that the car is in the same state it was when it left the factory. ANY modifications you do will by defination render the car "non-stock." In other words, if you modify or update anything (with the exception of Porsche recall items), it ain't stock, and it won't be stock unless and until you undo those modifications/updates.

If you want to "update" the car, then just do it. If you want a "stock" car, then just keep it like it is.

The easiest performance updates to install and remove are 15# chips, MBC, and a 3.0 BAR Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ken From KLA Industries
You might want to concentrate on getting Porsche racing parts like, cup chips, strut brace, M030 suspendion, sport shocks, on and on and on.
this is the best solution to maintianing the value of the car. But avoiding some of the best aftermarket parts is avoiding the potential of the car. Your choice.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Swap in an LS1. it's cheap, and it takes about 3 hours to return to stock.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:09 PM
RPG951S
Racer

I think the most important factor for maintaining the value of any modified car is to always go for the highest-quality/most respected pieces.
Seriously, if you put a set of triple adjustable JRZ's or Penske's, running 18" BBS magnesium wheels and a TEC-II or Motec, you're not going to reduce the value of your car!
You may however, affect the marketability of your car. Some people want a stock car, period. However if you were honest, and told them that the car had XYZ turbo, shocks, stripped interior running big boost, they probably wouldn't want the car even if you put all the stock pieces back in.

Frankly, ask yourself - did you buy the car for yourself, or for the next guy who owns it
Old 10-18-2005, 07:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by 951North
Background:
I have a '87 turbo that is completely stock. A large selling feature for me was the fact that it was. If I sell it one day I expect this to be an important feature for a buyer. Of course I feel the horsepower bug ...

Question:
How do I lightly modify it so I can catch-up with 20 years of development and still keep it "Vintage" Obviously any modification would have to be 100% reversible, Or be carried out using Porsche parts.

Solutions:
Vitesse AFM chip.
EBC
Porsche OE Dual Port wastegate
It is not cheap to do that, but one way is to restore/build it.

I am talking about working hard to bring the car back to factory specs. Rebuild the motor with new ring stock head work. New wastegate stock, rebuilt stock turbo, all new suspension bushings,etc.

This is not cheap but will give you that new chisp feeling back in the car. Then you can install a chip, MBC and probably 968 M030 sway bars.

My 88 S is stock and have kept it like that for 8 years. I have plans for and engine rebuild to freshen things. I plan on dyno before and dyno after. Figure it may be work 5 hp or so, but quite a bit on driveability/relability index. I will also be putting new shocks replaceing any worn parts.

I figure the car will much nicer once done. Then I have considered a Vitesse chip just to boosts things a bit. Really for me the 250 bhp stock is plenty, but a simple chip upgrade for 40 hp or so? That would be nice "modernization" aspect. Yep 290 bhp would put me back on track with most newer Porsches.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:03 PM
951North
Pro

Thanks for all the responces...

You've giving me some things to think about...

I bought the car for me, however I feel that I want to keep it unmolested to keep it a true Porsche (whatever that means) so that it may be looked at as a stock example 10 -20 years down the road. I have nothing against after market modifications, in fact when i get another 951 I will likely look for one that has been modified so that I can "play"...

For my current car I like the way it is and I intend to "restore" it to "as new" levels. Mainly for relibility? ha! but also so as to not affect the vintage aspect... It just seems a shame to me that some folks would take a nice clean stock example and turn it into a "vette" If I want an LS1 I'd buy the car it came in...

Sometime's it's not about money, but about history, right?

My reasoning in thinking about the VR AFM chipset is that software is something that isn't "seen" and therefore isn't really changing the car. The 3.0bar FPR is merely an updated Bosch OE part and a Boost controler is easily reversible. That being said, and my relative ignorance when it comes to options out there, what is available for the '87 turbo that maintains stock appearance, factory reliability and increased performance? that would be realized by going with a VR AFM Chipset/EBC/DP wastegate...

Jason.

Quick Reply: How do you modify a Porsche & keep it stock?