Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weirdness after replacing "Snowflake" switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 AM
cooter-1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weirdness after replacing "Snowflake" switch

I replaced my broken a/c "snowflake" switch and now the compressor comes on when I push in the switch and it blows cool air, but the center vents don't blow near as hard as they did before. Also, the "express" defrost button doesn't seem to work. Any body have an idea where to look first or what might be wrong?
Thanks,
Gary Coots
'87 951
Old 10-14-2005, 11:02 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

This may sound obvious, but did you check the positions of the sliders in the center of the ac control unit?
What is the "express" button? Recycle? defrost?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

If this all started after u replaced the switch, then recheck the switch and installation. Was the replacement switch new or used, did u check it with a meter before installing it, did u unplugged anything, if so try replugging..maybe a bad connection.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:40 PM
IanS
Instructor

My A/C switch doesn't say down. Can you give me more information about how to replace or fix just the switch? After taking out the climate control unit, I couldn't figure out how to get the A/C switch out.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:00 PM
cooter-1
Intermediate

OK, to answer several questions in one reply: the "express" defrost button is on the left side of the climate control under the recirculate button. When operating correctly it will turn on the defrost full blast just by pushing this switch and regardless of what the fan position switch is in. I think it might even kick in the compressor to aid in blowing dry air, but I'm not certain. And yes, the sliders are in the full left position. I even slid them over to check the air flow. It didn't seem to matter. The replacement switch was brand new and I will pull the control unit back out to check the connections.
Ian S, do you want me to email photos of the procedure on removing the climate control and where the switch needs to be un-soldered and a new one soldered in it's place? The black plastic that surrounds the back of the climate control unit needs to be carefully pulled off, one tab at a time ( I stuck a small flat blade screwdriver in each tab as I worked my way around) and then you can see where the switch is soldered in. I bought a de-soldering bulb that is supposed to suck molten solder off when you heat it up, but it didn't work very good. I went back to the tried and true method of using a braided copper "solder soaker" that you lay on each joint and heat it with the iron. As it heats up, the solder soaks into the copper braid.
I'll post my findings after I pull the climate control and figure out what's going on.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine doesn't say down either. Just say snowflake.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

cooter keep us posted, i have climate control issues also!@!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:52 AM
IanS
Instructor

Thanks cooter, I got everything apart, and then realized I'd have to unsolder and resolder the switch and decided to stop. So I don't think I need pictures of how to take it apart. But if you have pics of what it looks like unsoldered, I'd like to see that.

Has anyone fixed an A/C switch that won't stay down? Or do I have to replace it?

-Ian
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 AM
cooter-1
Intermediate

I've heard of people using a matchbook or toothpick to wedge the switch in the "on" position when they wanted a/c. If you have it apart, just go ahead and replace the switch.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:05 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never heard of one of the switches being repaired - replacement seems to be the only way to go....
Old 10-15-2005, 09:16 PM
IanS
Instructor

I use a dime. It works great.

Originally Posted by cooter-1
I've heard of people using a matchbook or toothpick to wedge the switch in the "on" position when they wanted a/c. If you have it apart, just go ahead and replace the switch.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

cooter, i tried the defrost button this morning, works. Have u had any luck with your switch ?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I have fixed an ac switch that would not stay down, and one that's cover flew off. I would have to find the pictures, but not really worth your time(unless like me you are inquisitve and will not give up). Two dumb bell things, some springs a little plastic catch and if not careful it will blow all those pieces everywhere

On the sliders, just make sure when you are testing air flow, you are doing them opposite directions not at the same time in the same direction

On the newer climate controls the ac compressor switch just pops out and you put a new one in. On the older ones you cuss and wonder why they stacked the boards
Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 AM
cooter-1
Intermediate

This is almost like there is a vacuum hose off somewhere or one of the control flaps is stuck shut. It's supposed to get up to 93 degrees today here in Arlington, Tx. so I'm headed out to check a few things under the dash and hood. I'll post my findings if I can get it all working properly again.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 AM
cooter-1
Intermediate

Well, I pulled the two control arms (from the drivers side foot well) out of their clips and pushed them around with the air conditioner on and the motor running. It still was blowing softly. I placed the arms back in their clips and then turned the car off. I went in the house and got cleaned up to go out to meet some friends and when I got back in the car and turned on the a/c, it all worked normal again, like nothing was ever wrong, even the "express" defrost works now. It's another one of those "mind boggling' things" !! Oh well, why ask why?
GC

Quick Reply: Weirdness after replacing "Snowflake" switch