WTF. oil burning make sense!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question WTF. oil burning make sense!

Someone make sense of this- my car. 120k miles, K26/6, running castrol 20W-50. i went on the calistoga run, i put about 300-400 miles on the car in one day, most of the miles were high-rpm, high-altitude miles. i checked the oil all day, no burning. oil was always pegged at the top mark. now i come home, do some daily driving. sunday-wednesday, and 2 60-120 runs, and my oil is below the low mark. i corrected it instantly, but why the hell does my car burn oil in these circumstances and not....insaneo in the braino mountain driving? (for those on the drive, after we all parted, i went to point reyes to complete my "fix" for the day)
Old 10-13-2005, 04:35 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

el bumpo
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At high rpm you maintain high pressure and heat. The gaskets are better sealed due to expansion of the aluminum block etc. Let the car sit, and it cools and shrinks. Try leaving it for two weeks and see what happens. You won't believe it. Our cars MUST be driven up to good working temp and maintained there on a daily basis not to lose oil. Ofcourse you can replace all of the seals and gaskets and this issue will be moot for another 80k, but it will eventually come back. Wait till the HG gets tired.
That's really fun.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

the thing is, i drive it 30+ miles every day, i hit full boost (while warmed up) all the time during my drive. dont say headgasket.....dont jinx me, man. so is this normal? this much oil consumption? i mean, i ran the 60-120 runs when the engine was warmed up, oil pressure was at 2.5 bar and water temp was above the first white mark. i mean, it's like, 3 or 4 quarts between oil changes depending on driving conditions.....

and i'm not "losing" oil, as in, i'm not dripping oil, i'm burning it. no leaks, i guess that's something to be proud of.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would pull the IC pipe and check for oil blow bye. It could be blowing bye your turbo. 3 or 4 quarts is WAY too much. How often do you change oil?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

2500-3000. i had a compression check done, and it's 145-150 across all four. spark plugs showed some oil on them though. so i'm assuming the turbo seals are going? is this a good excuse to get myself a lindsey sport turbo?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"is this a good excuse to get myself a lindsey sport turbo?"

Nope. But it's a FANTASTIC excuse to get a Vitesse Stage two kit, and jack your hp by 150 hp. Seriously, given the choice, there's no comparison. You can't just bolt on a bigger turbo. You have to handle increased fuel supply, injectors and optimally a MAF. No one is coming close to Vitesse right now on any of this stuff.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone make sense of this- my car. 120k miles, K26/6, running castrol 20W-50. i went on the calistoga run, i put about 300-400 miles on the car in one day, most of the miles were high-rpm, high-altitude miles. i checked the oil all day, no burning. oil was always pegged at the top mark. now i come home, do some daily driving. sunday-wednesday, and 2 60-120 runs, and my oil is below the low mark. i corrected it instantly, but why the hell does my car burn oil in these circumstances and not....insaneo in the braino mountain driving?
Checking oil hot versus cold?

I noticed at the last track day, checked oil between runs and only added a bit to keep it at the full mark. 50 mile drive home on the freeway, and by the end of it the oil is over 1/2 litre down. Next day, I check the oil cold and it is a litre down. So does it burn more parked overnight, freeway cruising or on the track? I assme that it burnt most of the oil at the track, but the oil was hot and expanded to keep it near the full mark. I know I was bleeding pressure out of my tires!

My oil consumption is similar to yours. Had the head serviced and replaced valve guides and have rebulit the stock turbo. It hasn't helped. Bores were in good shape when I had the head off, although I didn't measure them for were. Compression is 145-150 across the board. Resealed the AOS while I was in there. I think I need to re-ring the engine, as there is nothing else left.

Quick Reply: WTF. oil burning make sense!