Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil leaks near oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaks near oil filter

I have an oil leak near my oil filter. Before I changed my oil today I tried to tighten the oil filter by hand and it wouldn't budge. I tried my oil filter wrench (not too much torque -- fear of strippage) and it didn't budge either. My oil filter is on tightly, so I doubt its leaking from there. What else is in that area that could leak oil? I saw the Oil pressure sender, but I believe that's been replaced 4 years ago at 56,000 miles by the previous owner. The car now has 91,000 miles, is it possible the sender needs to be replaced again? Is this a typical problem area with 951s? This morning as I started the 951 up the low oil light came on for a second and the gauge took a second to go up (maybe normal, I'm just getting paranoid lately due to odd smell coming from engine bay, most likely a little oil burning), possibility its the oil sender? What else should I check? Is the oil pump in this area and what are signs thats going? I would like to visit my friend today about 30 miles away. Should I cancel the trip or this isn't something urgent?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

check the oil pressure releif valve. Its that big 24mm bolt next to the sender. Maybe its loose? Otherwise, the cam tower gasket could very well be leaking.
~Eyal
Old 10-11-2005, 02:09 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I recently replaced the oil cooler housing gasket and orings because of an oil leak. First time I ever saw an external leak on 944 t. You might want to look at that as well.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:23 PM
IanS
Instructor

I believe I have a leak at my oil pressure sender, but I haven't fixed it yet, so I'm not completely sure. I'm going to try a new crush washer and teflon tape on that first. If that doesn't fix the leak, I'll have to look around at more things in the area.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:58 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by ZPmadA
I have an oil leak near my oil filter. Before I changed my oil today I tried to tighten the oil filter by hand and it wouldn't budge. I tried my oil filter wrench (not too much torque -- fear of strippage) and it didn't budge either. My oil filter is on tightly, so I doubt its leaking from there. What else is in that area that could leak oil? I saw the Oil pressure sender, but I believe that's been replaced 4 years ago at 56,000 miles by the previous owner. The car now has 91,000 miles, is it possible the sender needs to be replaced again? Is this a typical problem area with 951s? This morning as I started the 951 up the low oil light came on for a second and the gauge took a second to go up (maybe normal, I'm just getting paranoid lately due to odd smell coming from engine bay, most likely a little oil burning), possibility its the oil sender? What else should I check? Is the oil pump in this area and what are signs thats going? I would like to visit my friend today about 30 miles away. Should I cancel the trip or this isn't something urgent?
when you changed the oil did you change the filter or just try to tighten the old one to stop the leak?

spray the area with a degreaser when the engine is cold, rinse off with a hose and you'll probably find the leak the next time you drive it.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:00 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Originally Posted by bearone
when you changed the oil did you change the filter or just try to tighten the old one to stop the leak?

spray the area with a degreaser when the engine is cold, rinse off with a hose and you'll probably find the leak the next time you drive it.

Oh I always change my oil filter with my oil. I just tried to tighten it before removing it to see if it was loose and the cause of my oil leak. But it wasnt loose, so I removed it and installed a new filter.

What kind of degreaser do you recommend? I use Simple Green without diluting it so its most powerful. Anything out there thats better/easier? I was out of simple green so I didnt get to clean it today.

EDIT: It is dry around the oil cooler.
It is also dry above my oil filter and around the top of the engine that says "PORSCHE" so my cam tower gasket should be fine right? Cam tower gasket and valve cover gasket are the same thing?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

use the degreaser all around where you see oil has accumulated.

be careful with the hose when you rinse it off. water and electrics don't play well together.

i use stuff from costco. it has a citrus smell, is environmentally friendly and does a decent job on the lite stuff.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem. It turns out a seal behind the distributor is leaking and I will get it fixed in November.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

you do realise that removing the oil filter will spill oil in that area, looking like a leak if you didnt realize that it spilled... Just needa get that out of the way.
~Eyal
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Clean it up as with degreaser -- getting rid of all oil and grudge in the area. Then take it for a spin and check to see where the oil is coming from. Possibilities in the area include the oil sender, the oil cooler lines that connect to the housing, lower balance shaft cover, the housing to block seal, not to mention long-distance leaks and power steering leaks...

See pictures of leak possibilities here: http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm
Old 10-16-2005, 08:14 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
you do realise that removing the oil filter will spill oil in that area, looking like a leak if you didnt realize that it spilled... Just needa get that out of the way.
~Eyal
Its definetly not that because I have fresh oil on my garage floor.

Possibilities in the area include the oil sender, the oil cooler lines that connect to the housing, lower balance shaft cover, the housing to block seal, not to mention long-distance leaks and power steering leaks...
How urgent are these things? Would I be able to drive the car 50-100 more miles before repair? My oil pressure and oil level is always good.

Here is something interesting I just noticed. I took a picture of the passenger's side wheel well, there is oil in there.

I change my oil every 2000 miles (2500 miles at most) and I never need to add oil during that time. However, I've never seen oil on my spashguard before.
Attached Images     
Old 10-17-2005, 12:07 PM
H2Opumpr
Advanced

external oil cooler lines that attach the the block mounted cooler can leak. They have pressed on fittings that get old and brittle. When you run the car at speed the wind blows oil everywhere making it difficult to pinpoint the source. Clean the motor up and jack up the front and let it idle for a while and check to see for leaks when the car is at rest, otherwise it can be extremely hard to find the source. Make sure it gets hot, there is an oil themostat for the external cooler that will cut flow until hot.

good luck
Old 11-11-2005, 01:57 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Originally Posted by H2Opumpr
external oil cooler lines that attach the the block mounted cooler can leak. They have pressed on fittings that get old and brittle. When you run the car at speed the wind blows oil everywhere making it difficult to pinpoint the source. Clean the motor up and jack up the front and let it idle for a while and check to see for leaks when the car is at rest, otherwise it can be extremely hard to find the source. Make sure it gets hot, there is an oil themostat for the external cooler that will cut flow until hot.

good luck
I think it might be where the oil lines are connecting to the oil filter housing where my oil leak is. If I don't leak oil when the engine is running cold, and only leak when the engine is hot that means the oil lines are leaking? Do I need to replace the lines or just the washer? They are a little over $100 each oil line at pelican, is there a cheaper solution?

I have a trace of water on my oil filer cap so I'm going to reseal my oil filter housing. If you guys had to do this job again, what would you do differently?
I've read this website a couple of times:http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm
At the bottom is says to buy (2) 123-011 I have these (22 x 27mm)washer/seals but where do they go the article doesnt mention them?(#9 on parts list) Is this only when replacing the oil lines and do they go on the oil cooler radiator or on the oil filter housing end of the oil lines? If I dont replace the oil lines, and they attach to the oil line & oil cooler radiator end of the oil lines then I dont need them because I don't touch the oil line connection at the external oil radiator, I only disconnect the oil lines at the oil filter housing? These are questions for the Turbo owners because I understand this is how the n/a and turbo are different. i dont think the n/a's have an external oil radiator

If this does not stop my oil leak and I need new oil hoses, that should be a simple job right? I dont need to remove the oil filter housing again to just replace the oil lines?

Last edited by ZPmadA; 11-11-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPmadA
I think it might be where the oil lines are connecting to the oil filter housing where my oil leak is. If I don't leak oil when the engine is running cold, and only leak when the engine is hot that means the oil lines are leaking? Do I need to replace the lines or just the washer? They are a little over $100 each oil line at pelican, is there a cheaper solution?

I have a trace of water on my oil filer cap so I'm going to reseal my oil filter housing. If you guys had to do this job again, what would you do differently?
I've read this website a couple of times:http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm
At the bottom is says to buy (2) 123-011 I have these (22 x 27mm)washer/seals but where do they go the article doesnt mention them?(#9 on parts list) Is this only when replacing the oil lines and do they go on the oil cooler radiator or on the oil filter housing end of the oil lines? If I dont replace the oil lines, and they attach to the oil line & oil cooler radiator end of the oil lines then I dont need them because I don't touch the oil line connection at the external oil radiator, I only disconnect the oil lines at the oil filter housing? These are questions for the Turbo owners because I understand this is how the n/a and turbo are different. i dont think the n/a's have an external oil radiator

If this does not stop my oil leak and I need new oil hoses, that should be a simple job right? I dont need to remove the oil filter housing again to just replace the oil lines?
Pretty hard to guess whether it is the lines or the fittings -- but I'd guess the lines anyway. Those washers are used on the oil thermostat housing, under the brass fittings that the hoses connect to. You have to remove the fittings that the hoses screw onto in order to replace those washers -- not absolutely necessary to replace the lines, but if you have an unkown leak...

A little trace of water on the cap doesn't necessarily mean anything. Condensation often collects and shows up on the cap. You need to remove the housing to replace the oil seals, but you "should" be able to get the hoses off without removing the housing.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:03 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be leaking from the valve cover? Tighten the valve cover bolts down all the way, especially the one behind the PS tank. It gets neglected.

Quick Reply: Oil leaks near oil filter