Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

what would be a good substitute car for the 951?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:32 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, taking all that into account, i agree completely. i think we just got a bit sidetracked with the FC thing.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Obsession
yeah, taking all that into account, i agree completely. i think we just got a bit sidetracked with the FC thing.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once again.. this thread is becoming very pointless...

Just looking for opinions on cars, no opinions on why they think i should keep the **** box in the garage .

Ted sorry to disagree with you but on your reasons why you think the porsche series of these cars are so great but:

looks: the 951 is not one of the best looking cars i have seen. Not saying i don't love it but there are much better looking cars i.e. e30 M3, Gen 3 rx-7, supras...

Handling: A well equipped e30 m3 will keep up in handling if not out handle a 951 that is well equipped.

Reliability: hahahahaha

Top speed: yeah because i go 170 all the time??

Acceleration: Our cars are slow off the line compared to most cars!!

Braking: there are not to many cars that do brake as good as our cars, but my brakes suck

The only thing i will really miss is the handling, and the fact that i can say i drive a porsche. But i am not going to miss having my car stuck on the side of a road and having to be towed home, or stuck in a parking lot because of petty electrical problems.

So say what you guys want, i maid this thread to see what opinions are on other cars that are: reliable yet still sporty for around the same price as a 951. I guess i understand the opinions of most of the rennlisters.

-Ian
Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
951North
Pro

I can't Believe no one has mentioned the Nissan Skyline GT-R32, Now available at least in canada 1989-90 examples can be had for ~20k CDN. Not that it's for me, but these cars can make crazy numbers and talk about aftermarket? exclusitivity??? Just food for thought. I'll stick to the p-car personally.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:28 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 951, but if you're looking for the cheapest car on the planet and still is a fantastic car...

911 SC

I wish I still had mine, seriously the cheapest car I've ever owned. It was a 79 in excellent condition, had about 110k on it when I bought it for $12k. I drove it every day for two years, did nothing but change the oil, put gas in it and drive the crap out of it. Sold it after two years for 12.5k. Yes that's 500 bucks more than I paid for it. Like I said, cheapest car I've ever owned.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

shmark, I was considering getting a 911 but i really do not know much about them. A lot of them sell for a lot of money now too, its hard to find one for a good price that is not a broken down project :-\.

-Ian
Old 10-11-2005, 09:41 PM
shmark
Drifting

look for a good SC and you can't go wrong. Don't be afraid of mileage, find one with records and pay for a PPI. You can get them all day long for 11-13k and they will be a great car.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:49 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I was looking for an SC when I picked up the 951. Kind of wonder how different it would have been (or how much more money I could have saved in maintenance).
Old 10-11-2005, 09:58 PM
shmark
Drifting

This was mine, like I said, really wish I still had it. The guy who bought it, flew down to Atlanta and drove home to Baltimore.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SC coupes that I have seen are more like 13 plus. I have only seen targas or cars that need serious work for under that. They are great cars though. Tough as nails.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:08 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Funny, I was also looking for a 911SC before I bought my 951S. Most of the good SC's I found were north of $13k. The ones that were less had lots of mileage on them and didn't have the needed upgrades (pop off valve, carrera tensioners, etc) and/or needed the 1st and 2nd gear syncros or more work done to them.

If I'd found one that had the front valence and whale tail and didn't need a ton of work, I probably would've bought it, but it looked like it was going to take around $15k to get a decent, well sorted SC.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:26 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboX
once again.. this thread is becoming very pointless...

Just looking for opinions on cars, no opinions on why they think i should keep the **** box in the garage .

Ted sorry to disagree with you but on your reasons why you think the porsche series of these cars are so great but:

looks: the 951 is not one of the best looking cars i have seen. Not saying i don't love it but there are much better looking cars i.e. e30 M3, Gen 3 rx-7, supras...

Handling: A well equipped e30 m3 will keep up in handling if not out handle a 951 that is well equipped.

Reliability: hahahahaha

Top speed: yeah because i go 170 all the time??

Acceleration: Our cars are slow off the line compared to most cars!!

Braking: there are not to many cars that do brake as good as our cars, but my brakes suck

The only thing i will really miss is the handling, and the fact that i can say i drive a porsche. But i am not going to miss having my car stuck on the side of a road and having to be towed home, or stuck in a parking lot because of petty electrical problems.

So say what you guys want, i maid this thread to see what opinions are on other cars that are: reliable yet still sporty for around the same price as a 951. I guess i understand the opinions of most of the rennlisters.

-Ian

951 not the best looking? Wth you are talking about Ian? It's a timeless desing. If a 951 is not beatifull to you maybe this is what you deserve.
Attached Images  

Last edited by lart951; 10-12-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
shmark
Drifting

Originally Posted by docwyte
Funny, I was also looking for a 911SC before I bought my 951S. Most of the good SC's I found were north of $13k. The ones that were less had lots of mileage on them and didn't have the needed upgrades (pop off valve, carrera tensioners, etc) and/or needed the 1st and 2nd gear syncros or more work done to them.

If I'd found one that had the front valence and whale tail and didn't need a ton of work, I probably would've bought it, but it looked like it was going to take around $15k to get a decent, well sorted SC.
True, but I said don't be afraid of miles. Mine had almost 140k when I sold it, and it sold for more than I paid. I had every record going back to day one, and the car was gorgeous, really a nice car and everything worked. The miles kept the price down. If you're going for less than 100k miles then yes it will be around 15k but I don't think you have to since they are practically bulletproof. Find a nice SC with 130-150k on it, with records and you'll get it for $12k.

[edit] mine also had carrera tensioners, popoff valve, a rotary compressor, H4s, euro lights all around, front spoiler (no rear), and shifted better than most I've driven...and I autocrossed and went to DEs with it. Don't be afraid of miles if the car is right

BTW looking at your list of mods, we have VERY similar cars! I love my Fabspeed exhaust!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboX

An E30 looks like brick with a square bubble on top. Fugly as all hell.

________
___/ \___
I----O-----------O----I

Quick Reply: what would be a good substitute car for the 951?