Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tinting the hatch!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 PM
First951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting the hatch!!!!!!!

My wonderful girlfriend tried to suprise me with getting my windows tinted for my birthday and was able to sneek my car out the garage without me knowing. The problem was they did the fronts, but were not able to do the hatch, she called a few places and know one wants to do hatch because they say it is very difficult. Anyone have this problem? Can anyone recomend a place in Boston area and she feels bad that she couldn't suprise me.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happens all the time. Well, except for any woman getting her hands on my keys. No one wants to do these. Call the dealer and ask them who they use. That will probably be a company that does high quality and custom work. Take it to them, or ask them who they think will do the work. Then put your keys back in your front trouser packet. That way you KNOW she'll never touch them again! lol
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Shop around. I also strongly recommend 3M film. Compared to that, everything else I've looked at is crap. Oh, and have a shop do it - you'll drive yourself nuts trying to do it yourself - trust me. Even with the hatch out of the car, this is one of those jobs best left to be "someone else's problem", even if it costs you a couple hundred bucks.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Let me warn u.....I purchased a hatch window (tinted) from EB. I don't like it because it creates glare/reflections when I try to use the review mirror I have a hard time seeing things. It's 10 times worst if I have the sunroof tilted open. The tint is not a mirror type finish just a typical dark color. I like the looks of the tint, just not the above, maybe there is a type tint that would not cause this problem.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Evan70
Pro

Find a shop that's capable of doing late model Firebird/Camaros and Corvettes. Their rear hatches are WAY bigger than those on a 944. The hardest part is finding someone that can do it in a single piece (most shops will want to use two pieces).
Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

It can't and shouldn't be done in 1-piece according to every tint shop I've been to. Mine is done very well in a 2-piece and I can bearly find the splice. To do it in 1-piece would require them to cut darts at numerous overlapping points near the edge and one large one in the center. The darts need to be cut 'on the glass' for a perfect seam which isn't possible due to the defroster pattern. My splice was made horizontal and adjacent to defroster wire abot 2/3 of the way down the glass. For some reason I don't get that reflective problem Rip It mentions, it's just hard to see out at night.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:10 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I get that same problem with the sunroof up, but only at certain times of day.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

It's definately do-able so shop around as suggested. I agree with the two piece approach. A friend of mine owns an audi/tint shop in Va Beach and wouldn't hire a tint person unless they could do his 951 (so he re-tinted his car almost every year ). he insisted in doing it in two pieces sliced at a defrosting line.

After selling his 951, he used my car as the test vehicle. I got free tinting and the kid got a decent job.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Ebby_951S
Instructor

Hey, guys- first time posting here, but I just wanted to say that I just recently had mine done. I recommend Formula One tint. The stuff has a lifetime warranty and looks fantastic. And yeah- the hatch is a beast to do. I have a tiny bit of bubbling where the glass curves sharply at the bottom left, near the spolier. Other than that it's perfect. The guy who did it went with 3 horizontal strips, matching the defroster lines. He said he could have avoided the bubbles with vertical strips, but in his mind that would have been more unsightly. I agree...
Old 09-30-2005, 03:17 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
It can't and shouldn't be done in 1-piece according to every tint shop I've been to. Mine is done very well in a 2-piece and I can bearly find the splice. To do it in 1-piece would require them to cut darts at numerous overlapping points near the edge and one large one in the center. The darts need to be cut 'on the glass' for a perfect seam which isn't possible due to the defroster pattern. My splice was made horizontal and adjacent to defroster wire abot 2/3 of the way down the glass. For some reason I don't get that reflective problem Rip It mentions, it's just hard to see out at night.
Mine is done with one piece...no darts or anything. The guy did an awesome job!
And I do get the reflection with the sunroof open.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
Mine is done with one piece...no darts or anything. The guy did an awesome job!
And I do get the reflection with the sunroof open.
Cool, 1-piece...I'd like to see that really. Did he use some kind of stretchable film? Usually the mylar base isn't very forgiving unless your film is something different. The narrower width at the bottom curves is always the problem area from what I've been told.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:24 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

my friend recently did a 944 and he said it was the hardest one he did yet.and hes been tinting for 5-6 years.he also 1-pieced it.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:27 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I live in houston. Lots of tinters around here. A guy did my NSX hatch with one piece. He cut it out on top and used a heat gun to shrink the plastic where it needed. It was perfect. Turned purple after 5 years though. USE 3M!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it will vary, but what did you guys pay to have the windows tinted?

All my friends have had there 4-door cars done for about $200-250.

Quick Reply: Tinting the hatch!!!!!!!