Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Stage 3 Dyno - Pump Gas - 15 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:24 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Vitesse Stage 3 Dyno - Pump Gas - 15 PSI

I just dynoed the 951 at our local Porsche Club Dyno day. It made the power I was told to expect (see graphs) The air:fuel ratios were pretty consistant across the board which shows 11.7 to 12.0 from the tail sniffing 02 sensor. The peak numbers were 303 rwhp @ 4600 rpm and 289.2 lb-ft torque at 5600 rpm. My k27/8 dynoed approximately 270 rwhp and 305 lb-ft torque on the same dyno last year. Both the Vitesse and K27/8 dyno's were at 15 psi. Interesting to see that I gained approx 30 hp but lost 20 lb-ft torque. If I recall correctly the k27/8 chart was more peaky with less under the curve than the Vitesse Stage 3 and the power was in rapid decline on the k27 after the torque peak whereas the Vitesse appears to make power to redline with a slight decline in torque.

John, I imagine with the SMT6 installed I could find a few extra HP but I was really surprised how dialed in your chips appear to be out of the box. In truth I was hoping for closer to the 330 rwhp in your estmated 300 - 330 power output but it looks like a little tuning will be needed to get there. Any suggestions or comments on what you see from the graphs? Out of curiosity, why is there a peak torque loss even though there is a HP gain?

Last edited by SoloRacer; 08-03-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:26 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your dyno doesn't cross at 5252!

and I would be pissed with that output.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:28 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

should be making alot more power
Old 09-24-2005, 11:29 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by emwporsche
your dyno doesn't cross at 5252!

and I would be pissed with that output.

The scales are different! HP is on the left and TQ is on the right.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:30 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

The mods for those wondering:

Vitesse Stage 3
Bursch Cat Bypass
SFR Exhaust
Tial 46 mm wastegate
Forge BOV
72 lb injectors
3 Bar FPR
Lightened Flywheel
Lightened Crank
Greddy Profec B
Lindsey Intercooler Pipes
Lindsey Catch Can

The engine was rebuilt approx 20K ago and is the stock displacement.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:38 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

emwporsche and aeronautica86: Why do you say I should be making a lot more power? John himself says only to expect between 300 and 330 rwhp on pump gas at 15 psi. It's only certain individuals on this forum who inflate the numbers so that guys like yourselves believe that 400 hp is the number to be expected. The turbo is capable of much more but only if you plan to run higher octane fuel and push the boost higher. I believe my results are typical for this kit at the conditions that I posted. To be fair I haven't installed the SMT6 yet but in all honesty I don't know how much of an improvement to expect when the air:fuel ratios appear to be good. I'm hoping John will post with recommendations. To his credit he has always been honest and upfront about his products and hasn't inflated the numbers. It's just that everyone here seems to skip the real world numbers and focus on the racing fuel/big valve head/high boost figures.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:38 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

whoops, neglected to process the 15psi part
Old 09-24-2005, 11:43 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
emwporsche and aeronautica86: Why do you say I should be making a lot more power? John himself says only to expect between 300 and 330 rwhp on pump gas at 15 psi. It's only certain individuals on this forum who inflate the numbers so that guys like yourselves believe that 400 hp is the number to be expected. The turbo is capable of much more but only if you plan to run higher octane fuel and push the boost higher. I believe my results are typical for this kit at the conditions that I posted. To be fair I haven't installed the SMT6 yet but in all honesty I don't know how much of an improvement to expect when the air:fuel ratios appear to be good. I'm hoping John will post with recommendations. To his credit he has always been honest and upfront about his products and hasn't inflated the numbers. It's just that everyone here seems to skip the real world numbers and focus on the racing fuel/big valve head/high boost figures.
Well, 15 psi. . . .

There was someone on here with the stage 3 who did EGT logs at 18-19 psi and his EGTs were safe (on pump fuel).

I noticed a huge difference when I installed the SMT, but your AFR doesn't seem to be that far off.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you planned on running such low boost, why didn't you get the stage 2?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:46 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PS- I dynoed 318 HP and 310 TQ with the OLD stage 2 at 14 psi. That was with a "worse-than-stock" exhaust, plugs that were totally wrong, and a serious misfire issue. . .

. . .just something to think about.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:51 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Ted,

I bought the Stage 3 because I didn't feel the Stage 2 would be that signifigant an improvement from my k27/8 and the Stage 3 cost the same as the Stage 2. I spoke to John and 15 psi is the highest he recommends taking it. From what understand he doesn't approve taking it higher than 18 psi on pump fuel even though many here have done so. Perhaps part of it is to be conservative and prevent people from thinking they can just bolt on the turbo, push it to 18 psi without taking a look at what's going on first. I wasn't going to go higher without seeing what the air:fuel mixtures were and installing the SMT6. I didn't want to be one of the guys who blew a head gasket because they weren't being careful enough.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:56 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ted,

I bought the Stage 3 because I didn't feel the Stage 2 would be that signifigant an improvement from my k27/8 and the Stage 3 cost the same as the Stage 2. I spoke to John and 15 psi is the highest he recommends taking it. From what understand he doesn't approve taking it higher than 18 psi on pump fuel even though many here have done so. Perhaps part of it is to be conservative and prevent people from thinking they can just bolt on the turbo, push it to 18 psi without taking a look at what's going on first. I wasn't going to go higher without seeing what the air:fuel mixtures were and installing the SMT6. I didn't want to be one of the guys who blew a head gasket because they weren't being careful enough.
I agree with you 100%. I only run 17psi on pump fuel because I don't have an EGT probe yet. Even then, I doubt I will run much more than that. Still, 2 or 2.5 psi can be as much as 30HP.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:58 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Ted: Was the dyno in your signature on pump gas and 17 psi?

EDIT:

One other reason I initially chose the Stage 3 vs the Stage 2 was the rave reviews here on the forum. I guess I was seduced by the big HP claims that were being made. When I ordered the turbo John gave me a reality check and told me what to realistically expect. That was one of the reasons that I posted the dynos I just did. It seems that everyone here posts these big numbers that may not be indicative of most applications and people instantly believe that should be the norm instead of the exception. I have no doubt that the turbo kit and John are capable of producing much bigger numbers but I also know that they don't come as simply some would like us to believe.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No that was on a race fuel mixture, 23 psi with the same issues I described above. Now with the new stage 2 turbo and 3" turbo back exhaust I expect to be well over 400 at that boost. I believe that now on pump fuel I am pretty close to that 371. However I won't be able to tell for quite some time as my clutch is slipping to the point where a dyno run is useless.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:10 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Ted: You believe you are close to that 371 on pump fuel with a Stage 2 at 17 psi? If so that is impressive as I would be thrilled to be near that level with the Stage 3 on pump gas and 18 psi. What really is the big difference between the Stage 2 and Stage 3 then?
Old 09-25-2005, 12:15 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ted: You believe you are close to that 371 on pump fuel with a Stage 2 at 17 psi? If so that is impressive as I would be thrilled to be near that level with the Stage 3 on pump gas and 18 psi. What really is the big difference between the Stage 2 and Stage 3 then?
Yes at 18psi I hope to be between 360-370.

I am sure John will chime in with his opinion and tell us exactly the difference between the st2 and st3.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Stage 3 Dyno - Pump Gas - 15 PSI