Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF after BOV

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005 | 10:17 AM
Glider
Instructor

Default MAF after BOV

Has anyone located the MAF after the BOV allowing it to vent to the atmosphere? I have done it on a DSM. It adds a little bling and eliminates some hoses under the hood. I'm getting ready to put a MAF on my 951 and am looking for suggestions.
Old 09-23-2005 | 11:33 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It can be done. It requires a special type of MAF.. The software (chip) will have to change as well.
Old 09-23-2005 | 12:40 PM
pstickne
Instructor

*ventures* wouldn't you want a MAP sensor instead?
Old 09-23-2005 | 12:59 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

i've often wondered this myself, wouldnt this allow for one of those forge rally-type bov's? john, what kind of mods would have to be made to a vitesse chip to do this? i've always wanted that "PSSSHWEE"
Old 09-23-2005 | 09:43 PM
Glider
Instructor

I don't know about Porsche, it could be done on a DSM before or after the bov without modification to the programming.

Yes Obsession, if it were able to be done you could use your factory bov and just take off the return hose.

I have an MAF coming. Do they look capable of holding 20 lbs of boost without cracking?

On the Lindsey site they say that the pro-m can run nearly any MAF. If that is the case it could probably use a GM MAF from a Corvette, MonteCarlo and a few others. They can be bought at a junk yard for 50.00. They work very well under boost conditions from my experience, made from cast aluminum and if I remember have a 2 1/2 to 3" inside diameter.
Old 09-23-2005 | 10:38 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 951Obsession
i've often wondered this myself, wouldnt this allow for one of those forge rally-type bov's? john, what kind of mods would have to be made to a vitesse chip to do this? i've always wanted that "PSSSHWEE"

We already have the software & MAF to do this.. It requires a different IC pipe, which is why we do not offer it as a product.. I doubt we will make available on a per order basis..
Old 09-24-2005 | 10:01 AM
Glider
Instructor

I couldn't find any pictures of I/C pipes on the Vitesse site. The Lindsey site has a pic on thier homepage. There looks to be a good location on the upper intercoller pipe for the MAF. All you need is a straight piece for about 6-8". Also if your system uses intake air temp that would be a good location after the intercooler.

I would go and look at my car but it has been at the tint shop for 5 days. Evidently the rear window is a pain to tint nicely.
Old 09-24-2005 | 10:22 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Of course you did not see any info on this particular part, as I said we have no ontention on selling it. Also before you go spending $ on a GM MAF, best to make sure it can work on the 951.
Old 09-24-2005 | 12:46 PM
eniac
Drifting

I have my BOV vented to the ATM. No problems at all except it almost stalls if I tap the gas and let off quickly while sitting in neutral. A few companies make BOVs with an antistall option to prevent the BOV from sucking air back in. I will try one of those eventually but for now it's fine.
Old 09-24-2005 | 02:55 PM
Glider
Instructor

Fast951,

"It requires a different IC pipe, which is why we do not offer it as a product"'

"Of course you did not see any info on this particular part, as I said we have no ontention on selling it."

From your first post I gathered you sold the "not different" I/C pipe and it was not listed on the site.

I already have a MAF currently marketed for Porshe coming. I'm just putting out possible options for new or current technology.

Eniac, If your bov is vented to atmosphere but is after the maf(as the air flows) you will have a rich condition every time the bov releases air. The air is metered and fuel will be added for it. When it is released the computer can't know to reduce injector pulse.

If your bov is before the maf someone smarter than me might be able to help.
Old 09-25-2005 | 03:36 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glider
Fast951,

"It requires a different IC pipe, which is why we do not offer it as a product"'

"Of course you did not see any info on this particular part, as I said we have no ontention on selling it."

From your first post I gathered you sold the "not different" I/C pipe and it was not listed on the site.

I already have a MAF currently marketed for Porshe coming. I'm just putting out possible options for new or current technology.

Eniac, If your bov is vented to atmosphere but is after the maf(as the air flows) you will have a rich condition every time the bov releases air. The air is metered and fuel will be added for it. When it is released the computer can't know to reduce injector pulse.

If your bov is before the maf someone smarter than me might be able to help.
Yes it is after the MAF. I do get a momentary rich condition when it vents but it doesn't cause any problems. Often it will shoot a flame out the exhaust when I tap the gas to downshift. I don't think it matters too much since it only vents when I let off the throttle so the injector duty cycle should drop right away anyway, well it takes about a 1/2 secend for the duty cycle to drop. I also have the idle air screw out and extra turn to allow a little more air while off throttle. Ajdusted with my ARC2, it idles smooth ~14 A/F at 950 rpm.

Quick Reply: MAF after BOV