NEW Vitesse Stage 2 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:45 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Vitesse Stage 2 turbo

I just upgraded from the old stage 2 to the new stage 2 Vitesse turbo.

WOW!! What a difference. I really should have a new dyno sheet and boost datalogs before I start to run off at the mouth, BUT THIS THING BUILDS BOOST LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE!

I had a friend rev it up in the parking lot so I could hear the full 3" SFR exhaust, and I could hear the turbo spool and diverter valve popping!! I thought for sure I was crazy until I revved the car myself and watched the boost gauge. 6 psi, with the car in neutral, no load on the engine!!! 6 PSI just from revving the engine!!!!!

I can't believe it. It is a night and day difference from the old stage 2 to the new one.

I made a video of me revving the car and watching the boost gauge, but it ended up being kind of a big file and I don't know where to host it.

6 PSI in neutral!! If I revved it up to redline I could probably get 7 out of it!! CRAZY!!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 02:49 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Shall we write your obituary now? Sounds like some good clean fun to me! Keep us informed.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:21 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alot of this is based on "anit-lag" timing parameters in the chips for his specific package... Helps spool tremendously over stock ign. advance/timing...
E-man
Old 09-18-2005, 04:25 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of timing parameters E-man?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:42 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't looked @ John's chips but general EFI tuning will alow one to run full ignition advance... something like 40 degrees advance is common on 930 EFI setups to kill turbo lag and produce razor sharp engine response. This is then dialed back until you end up with retarded timing on boost as the revs climb. The 944 motronic computer is capable of accepting a good range of ignition timing parameters. You have to have alot of different maps for the computer to use for situations like non-load/partial load/etc... It's a bit more complicated than this but I need to go to sleep. John's been working at this for a while, I'm sure he's got the best chips out there, I think his surface mount roms can hold a vast amount more maps than old school stuff like Autothority...
Old 09-18-2005, 10:07 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Yep 5-6 psi in neutral, it's crazy.
I hope your clutch holds up better than mine.
The turbo spools up so fast that hard launches just smokes the clutch.
I have to get the car rolling and into second before putting down the power.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:34 AM
stewardx
Instructor

you changed your turbo downpipe and exhaust at the same time and your feeling that
more then anything else.

Wes
Old 09-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Joseph Imports
Instructor

Wow, that sounds very impressive. I know you will enjoy it.

Alex
Old 09-18-2005, 01:52 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ted, I can't help it but I have to say it: "I told you so"... The new stage 2 is VERY fast spooling, you have to stay on top of it or you get in trouble real fast... You will be even more surprised (as in good surprise) when you dyno it.
Tim (Tconn) has the same turbo, same software, but a different exhaust. You guys might want to compare notes (once Tim fixes the clutch). It'll be interesting to compare both cars a they have different exhaust systems.
Tim, shortly I should have a good clutch package that will hold up to the added power.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:19 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

That won't be a fair comparison John. Ted has ST to help with tuning .

Let me know about the clutch kit.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:40 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tim, with the latest MAF software there is not much fine tuning needed.. I don't think Ted had a chance to fine tune it as it was raining..
Old 09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stewardx
you changed your turbo downpipe and exhaust at the same time and your feeling that
more then anything else.

Wes
How do you know thats whats he is feeling over a different turbo? Do you have knowledge of the new Vitesse turbos over the old ones?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:31 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

tedwright - Mind telling us how much boost you can build in first gear (not limited by boost controller, etc.)?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:45 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, I just went out and played around a bit. The car seems a lot stronger, and the boost comes on quicker. There is no doubt about it! I want to hook up a boost sensor and do some datalogs to show you guys when the power is coming on, because you seriously won't believe it!!

It is tough to tell, because my tach is soo inaccurate, but I can tell you that I am hitting the full 17 psi (pump fuel) just under 3k RPMs. (Granted it is fairly cool here today, but still!!)

That is starting in fourth around 2k rpms, and putting it to the floor.

Chris, honestly, I never even floor the car in 1st gear. I will check it out, but there is no point in even stepping on the gas in 1st. As soon as the boost hits it rips the tires free and bounces off the rev limiter. What I mean is, before you even realize that the boost is on you have already bounced the rev limiter. The tach can't even keep up. LOL (Also, I have an open diff.)

Tim, yes it is great to have the tool around. Seriously though, if you don't want to tune it yourself you can just do some datalogs with a wideband, send them to John and he will either send you a map for the SMT or at least tell you the values to put it in!! He has the same goal we do, he wants our cars to be as fast as possible. . . . and that is probably going to get me in trouble!!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 04:56 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted:

Wow, that turbo sounds incredible, especially how fast it spools up! Enjoy your new toy...

Humm, some food for thought.

Quick Reply: NEW Vitesse Stage 2 turbo