944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 only starts when complety cool??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005 | 12:15 AM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Default 951 only starts when complety cool??

I just finished my turbo swap and she runs OK so far BUT, once she is warm and I turn her off she wont start untill its completely cold. I ave to wait hours for her to cool until I can turn her on again..

What could it be? I am stumped!
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:18 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

DME relay?
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:21 AM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Originally Posted by ehall
DME relay?

where on the car is that? Also how does that effect the car?

Also the car was sitting for a month without starting.
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:25 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

i posted in the other thread. but since the problem started with it overheating. maybe you broke the temp sensor for the dme. and its gettign a weird signal and enriching or not enrichinng enough the mixture to retart the car? its worth a try.
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:39 AM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Originally Posted by Campeck
i posted in the other thread. but since the problem started with it overheating. maybe you broke the temp sensor for the dme. and its gettign a weird signal and enriching or not enrichinng enough the mixture to retart the car? its worth a try.

Can you please show me a pic of that sensor, I dont know what it is or what it looks like....please
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:42 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

well.
i *THINK* the one for the dme is in the head. at the front right of the head. in this little lump...let me go take a pic of the two sensors. although if the gauge cluster one works then i geuss the DME one shoudl too. so maybe thats not your problem.

ill take a pic neway. brb
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:48 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

First two things you want to check are the DME Relay. Its G6 I think in the relay box. Next up are the speed and reference sensor connectors. Those are on a bracket thats bolted to the very back of the intake manifold.
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:50 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

my bad. they are both in the block. one is just very close tot he head. here they are. right under and to the left of the throttle body.

not sure which one is DME.. the front one with the green connector. or the one behind it with the prongs.

edit. the one with the connector is the dme one.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:51 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

yeah. lots of things could have happened when it overheated. that or from it sittign 2 months and it has nothing to do with it overheating.
Old 09-14-2005 | 04:11 AM
E-man930
Banned

One of the 2 sensors that sits in a bracket on top of the clutch housing is not in proper adjustment. One of them is for referrence the other is speed. Check to make sure they are close enough to the flywheel pins so that they can still get a signal AFTER the engine is hot. The engine is expanding alot once it's hot and it pulls those snesors farther away until it gets a very weak signal. You go to start and the DME is not seeing the proper timing. Loosen the bolt that holds the bracket, take a pipe or a long socket extension and tap on the metal braket to lower towards the flywheel pins, then tighten the bolt back. Be careful not to tap the sensora as they will break, also don't tap them to close as they will hit the pins and shred the sensors upon startup. There is a proper spec in the factory manual but alas they went with my old 951 when I sold her 4 years ago. Good luck and makesure to do your research before asuming what was already there is right.
E-man930
Old 09-14-2005 | 08:51 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

better yet. take the sensors out of there bracket. and stick a dime on the bottom of them. then push them down till they stop. mark that. take dime off. put them back, and tighten.

or is it the maountign block you have to adjust and the sensors are stationary?
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:00 AM
tammons
Pro

Have you tried wiggling the crank sensor connections when this happens. My car does that occasionally. I can just toch mine and it fires right up
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:13 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you can get your hand in there on the DME temp sensor, with the car running, you can unplug it - briefly - if it is working correctly the car will stumble, then plug it back in, it should smooth out.
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:59 AM
Clowd
Pro

Whatever the two sensors are right behind the intake manifold.. mine came loose from wherever they are supposed to mount, and whenever the car doesn't start I just have to play with them a bit and it starts right up..
Old 09-14-2005 | 01:29 PM
951fan
Former Sponsor

I am currently replacing both ref sensors and the mounting bracket. One of my sensors was seized and thus I had to remove the bracket, what a PITA. The bracket is supposed to be the only adjustment for the sensors but not necesarily so if you have to replace the bracket. The replacement bracket that I got had a sleeve in the front hole so I had to space the rear sensor up about 10MM to get them even with each other. Then adjusted with the bracket.

Quick Reply: 951 only starts when complety cool??