Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Flushing the ABS Circuit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005 | 06:20 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Default Flushing the ABS Circuit?

How much fluid lives in the ABS pump, and how the he!! does it ever get flushed?

I'm about to switch to Castrol SRF, which is not chemically compatible with ATE brake fluid. Castrol specifically warns against mixing SRF with any other fluid.

I'm confused about how to do this without flushing the ABS circuit, and I'm almost sure that the normal procedure with a Motive bleeder doesn't flush the fluid in the ABS circuit. So, what is the trick to flush the ABS circuit??
Old 09-13-2005 | 11:19 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Why are you worried, Tony? You never use the ABS so the fluid will never mix... ;-)

Actually wanted to know myself so I thumbed through the factory shop manual and found this -
"There is no difference in the procedure for bleeding the braking system of cars fitted with ABS."
Page 47-21
The procedure the manual describes is a simple 'pressurize system and open bleed screws'..

Sounds like you will flush the ABS system when you introduce the Castrol. You may want to disconnect the ABS input line and flush it first to keep any gunk from the incompatible chemicals from clogging up the ABS system. May also want to disconnect the ABS output lines and do the same. Sucking each line to the calipers with the ABS outputs disconnected using a Mityvac or such may reduce the amount of residual ATE in the system and reduce the chance of gunk forming in the calipers. Just a thought, but this would use a lot of Castrol, which I know isn't cheap.

Quick Reply: Flushing the ABS Circuit?