Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help! Car just died!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:04 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Car just died!

Symptoms: Car was started from cold, driven about 400m when it cut out a couple times, just a stutter, or hesitation. It did it a couple more time before dying completely. I noticed smoke behind me as I coasted down the hill.

I had a look under the bonnet an visually everything is OK, although I noticed on very small vacuum connection that had come loose. It appeared to have been that way for a while though, but I reconnected it anyway.

There was a smell of petrol under the bonnet which led me to suspect a fuel line, but it went away.

The car started again, but didn't seem to want to run, cutting out a bit, then running clean for a few hundred metres back up the hill where it died completely again. I was able to pull off the road and have left the car there. There was no smell of petrol or sign of smoke this time.

Car is bone stock 1987 951 and hasn't missed a beat since I've owned it...

Where do I look first?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Old 09-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Fen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DME relay?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

Yeah, would suspect DME relay, fuel pump/filter or even the coil can give this symptoms!

Check if you got spark, if you do then its fuel related.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:32 AM
special tool
Banned

You probably have a loose intake boot between turbo and throttle body.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:54 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Thanks a million guys! I just jogged down to the car with my spare DME, plugged it in and started it up. It ran roughly for a couple hundred metres before dying again. Same symptoms. Had to coast back down the hill backwards to the original resting place.

Everything looks in order in the engine compartment. ADAC are on the way. I hope they are able to diagnose it rather than haul it to a garage or home...

Just had to take my helmet and Jahreskarte out before they get here! I was on my way to the Nordschleife...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Fen
Racer

I see. It's Karma. Many of us haven't yet been to the Nordschleife and this is your payback for living so close

I do of course realise it is at least an option for me, unlike the US members. Next year, I promise...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 AM
EJ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check to see that your reference sensors haven't gotten loose at the plugs. Happened to me.
Eric
Old 09-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

disconnect the tps and see what happens, its easy, its fast, its cheap. Mine was stumbling disconnected it and it runs great.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:15 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Fen
I see. It's Karma. Many of us haven't yet been to the Nordschleife and this is your payback for living so close
I actually had ADAC tow the car to Ring Racing. It may have been cheaper than driving there given the current price of petrol here.

I drove laps in a Z4 and a Clio 172 today. Both entertaining, but the 951 would ahve been a bit more fun. Hopefully it will be ready for the weekend.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Update: Looks like it was the TPS.

Apparently something else is amiss in the Motronic bits but that is repairable as well. Good news! Car is at Kaul GmbH Werkstatt für Porsche Automobile and should be ready in a day or so!

Sunday at the Nordschleife I had to make do with my 540i although I did get to drive a very fast RS4 for a couple laps. Would you believe it was almost as fast as a GT2RS on the straights?

Quick Reply: Help! Car just died!