Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2 electrical problems in my 86 (instrument lights and license plate lights)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:32 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 electrical problems in my 86 (instrument lights and license plate lights)

My 944 turbo has two electrical problems. My instrument guages do not light up, and my license plate does not light up either. The instrument lights is my fault. I removed the climate control and didn't have its lights plugged in. The result was excess voltage (which should have been used to light up the climate control) not being used. My dimmer melted and a week later my instrument lights no longer worked.

I replaced the dimmer, and the lights still didn't work. I checked the fuse box and the fuse for the instrument lights was blown. I replaced it only to find my climate control light up, but my instrument guages still dark, and then the new fuse blew. I kept replacing fuses, and they still would blow. Is it possible to install the dimmer incorrectly, or a dimmer from a different year that looks the same externally might not be the same internally and this new dimmer is the cause of the fuses to be blown? I'm hoping somebody here could help me before I need to pull the dash apart.

The second issue is my rear license plate lights. I replaced the bulbs and it does not light up. I don't know which fuse is hooked up to my license plate, or what other lights run on the same circuit to see if it is a fuse. I tested the wires connecting to the bulb socket with a volt meter and there is no power so the bulbs cant be burned out.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-08.htm
Old 09-13-2005, 12:41 AM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your not saying I need to replace the entire instrument panel are you? the lights are wired separately?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:44 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have three burned bulbs, or the mirrors could be in really condition thatr they don't reflect any light, thus no light comes to the cluster.

The bulbs are in holders that screw and lock into the cluster, no wires.

Quick Reply: 2 electrical problems in my 86 (instrument lights and license plate lights)