AC cooling fins and drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Update

Well Guys
I pulled one of the all time bone head moves ..

Can't go into details 'cause I may get banned on the basis of stupidly
Anyway, what I really want to know is how is this tube suppose to drain ?
All I get is drip drip drip ... Is that the way they all drain ?
Granted its not suppose to be an aqueduct but I would have thought it would drain faster that that ?
Also, If one wants to get in that hose showing behind the radio how do you get into it ?
I had to remove the dam, head unit, amp and glove box .. not a pretty sight
I will have to rewire a lot of stuff ..
I was going to put in the Boost controller, boost gauge, Air fuel gauge, Wide band O2 and the SMT6 so I had to get in there anyway but what a mess ..
Dam water came through the AC vents in the glove box and the floor
SO, if any of you guys know, how fast this is suppose drain, please let me know
Thanks
Regards
Ed
Old 09-13-2005, 03:55 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed,
It should drain pretty quick, with the car sitting on idle and ac on, i see a small-medium puddle of water coming from that area.

That hose behind the console should be very wasy to remove, can't you stick a wire brish (thin) and start tanking it in and out to clean any debris there?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Well
I pulled the whole shootin' match ..
What a mess !! What a bummer thats just what i need another project ..
I got to the hose and I just sqeezed it a number of times after a few times and 20 mins
It started go pour out ...
I didnt really find the clog but I plan to run some more water thru it and confirm that the drain is clear
In total, I would say I had a few gallons in there, backed up
Thanks Hos and others for your help
Hos, I didnt want to really pull that hose if I didnt have to. I assume it's seperated from the plastic tank like looking area ? Is there a barb fitting on the tank that seals the rubber hose from leaking ?
Time to retire ..Good night
Regards
Ed
Old 09-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahahaha! A few gallons. Oh man, now my sides hurt. I really hate to laugh at other's misfortune, but that really does crack me up.
Sorry......

I was reading your post, and thinking to myself, 'coming out the vents?... WTF?!', now I understand.
Good to hear you got it sorted out. If that drain is plugged, your evaporator housing will start to fill with water when you run the A/C. From there, a few things can happen. It can reduce the efficiency of your A/C system, as well as decrease the air flow, it can start to spill out of the box through the vents or any other openings when cornering, and it can start to spray out of the vents when the fan is turned up. None of those things are very good. It's great that you caught it when you did. I'll be checking mine as well, since I noticed that the A/C effeciency decreases with time as it runs, and that once shut off, it makes the car so humid that I can't even breathe, and have to keep the windows open for 20-30 minutes of driving before it's tolerable again. Did you perhaps have similar symptoms that prompted your investigation?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Hey Zero
No the only reason I went in there was because I am a F#$% nut
I wanted to clean every part in the engine bay...
This was close to the last area that I need to address
I have pretty much ever part out of the car except the block
I had already clean the $hit outta the front evaporator (?) in the front of the car
I will post some shot of the clean up. I figured that the other (condenser) should be cleaned. I am also planning on adding a small ( filter, pollen like ) to the hardware screen that there already ... That should keep the fins clean for a long time. I really wanted to do this for a long time because I was tracking the car a Summit Pt, a long while back and had an off road excursion.
I kicked up so much dust that I couldn't see my buddy next to me in the passenger seat
I had the fan on full blast at the time , and a lot of dust made its way into the blower and never smelled right after that .. So I blew 2 types of degreaser's including a citrus chaser (to make it smell nice) and about 5 gallons of hot water ..
I strained some of the particulate to see what exactly came out and it was pretty dirty ..
Mind you, my car has only 45k on it..
Regards
Ed
ps Now I have to re-wire the whole stereo etc

Quick Reply: AC cooling fins and drain