Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is it just me or are the autothority chips JUNK

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:37 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Missin2
Interesting.. they are less then an hour away from my place.. maybe I will go talk to them.

i dident think they had the hardware or skills to do custom chips..

They will tune your car on their dyno. I've called them about it before but never made up from Virginia Beach to do it.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Missin2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Umm, Bill, last I heard Autothority went out of business. I could be wrong, though.

And yes, the chips run really rich... My eyes water from the rich exhaust following guys w/ these chips at the track.

http://www.autothority.com/

their website still works, and about a year ago a friend of mine was up there getting stuff for his VW.. so I am pretty sure they are still arround..

I dunno, I am gunna jsut going to make my own chips.. vitesse sounds great and all but in all honesty they are overpriced. That and I am a big fan of doing things the hard way
Old 09-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Missin2
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt H
They were designed to be rich. If used as instructed they are just fine.
they are probably the single worst example of "tuning" I have ever seen in my life..
Old 09-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I have autothority chips in my car, and they are crap. I will be pulling mine soon. I want to go back to stock chips they are so bad.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:10 PM
a4944
Racer

I have Autothority Stage II on otherwise stock car and the car runs rich but should we care? I track the car and would rather be on the safe side. I have had problems with just about everything else but the engine has been reliable so far. They make good power. I do barely pass state emissions and I hate worrying about it every year. Anyone know a good place to get stock back-up chips? I have only ever run with the Autothority so don't have anything to compare them to.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Missin2
Racer

Originally Posted by a4944
I have Autothority Stage II on otherwise stock car and the car runs rich but should we care? I track the car and would rather be on the safe side. I have had problems with just about everything else but the engine has been reliable so far. They make good power. I do barely pass state emissions and I hate worrying about it every year. Anyone know a good place to get stock back-up chips? I have only ever run with the Autothority so don't have anything to compare them to.

Thanks,
Mark
Thats kinda where I stand with them right now..

there are a few reasons I want to redo the chips
1) they are overly rich which could be robbing a few ponies
2) emissions
3) the fumes leaking into the car are starting to get annoying
4) better mileage

I am pretty sure if the closed loop fuling was properly setup everyone with them would pick up 2-3 miles per gallon.. and be able to pass emissions no problem.. thats my big gripe.. going from consistant 11:1 to 14.7:1 will make a huge difference..
Old 09-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Tomas L
Pro

I think the APE MAF chips have a very aggressive ignition timing. It may be because of that they are setup so rich. Therefore you should be very careful if you lean them out as you may run into detonation.

Tomas

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are the autothority chips JUNK